1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

christopher DB200..

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by biddypatrick, Jul 10, 2012.

1. biddypatrick

biddypatrick

May 4, 2007
    Portugal
    I'm considering this instrument in 1/2 size with removable neck for travel. As far as ply goes, and the whole you get what you pay for thing, I'm wondering if anyone owns or has played the DB200 and what you think.

2. I played one a few years ago at Lando music in Frankfurt. I remember it being a nice jazz ply bass. Better than I expected.

Fat punchy sound and seemed to fill the show room quite nicely.

I was seriously considering getting one but ended up taking a Chrissy hybrid. Which I am very happy with.

The Christophers are a nice for the price bass.

3. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    I own a 3/4 and can only say that with Thomastic Spiro's I have a very good jazz ply bass sound with a lot of 'thuuuumb'. I'm quite happy with it!

For the price the Christophers offer the best value (Germany).

4. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
    I own a 3/4 DB200---unbelievable growl and very nice bow response. There were some hybrids as well as carved I tried and though some had more weight tone-wise, none had quite the growl and that`s what I was after---came with D`Addario jazz strings so they may be a little more bow friendly than Spirocores--very happy with it

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Of course, growl is a matter of the setup and strings. It's not really an underlying property of the bass, per se.

6. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    I played this instrument in Lando Musik shop in Frankfurt. Jonas, the owner, has made a perfect set up and the bass delivered a thunderous pizz tone. It was strung with Presto Jazzicatto , very good jazz strings, in the same league as Velvet Garbo. It was a beautiful Busetto shaped bass and IMHO it represents an excellent choice among the laminated double basses.
    Mike

7. biddypatrick

biddypatrick

May 4, 2007
    Portugal
    Awesome guys.. Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate this. I'm curious about the ply as opposed to hybrid or carved due to the fact it would be a second/travel bass. I like the ruggedness of the ply and not have to worry so much about humidity. Sounds like the plys are good for the money. The removeable neck feature is a killer.. was hoping for this kind of feedback. Cheers.