Christopher styles?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Looking at the beginner's models Christophers, I see they come in two styles; Gamba, and Violin. ILTM like there's only slight differences in these two styles, with the violin model perhaps being a bit more compact...
    For those of you who know Christophers, are there any significant differences in the sound and playability of these two different styles?

2. These differences are strictly cosmetic. Some educators prefer the gamba model because the violin corners are apt to get banged up by students.

I chose a Busetto Christopher, just because I think they look cool (and that bass happened to sound the best out of the ones I tried).
  3. The Lutheir in my area said that glueing violin-cornered basses' corners back on kept his kids in shoes :) So I guess I would go for the other shapes on that advice alone!

4. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I am in agreement with Mike & Beth. The sound of the individual bass has little or anything to do with the style of the corners.

The upper bout of my 3/4 Christopher Busetto is a little narrower than some of the 3/4 violin corners I have played. This means to me that PERHAPS a smaller person could handle a 3/4 Christopher Busetto easier than some other 3/4s with wider upper bouts.

At any rate, play before you pay . . . Enjoy the search.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In looking at the photos I could find on the web, it appears as if the two have different geometry in the shoulders. Both the Busetto and the Gamba have a much steeper slope to the shoulder than does the Viol shape, and as mentioned a little narrower upper bout.

How that impacts sound, I wouldn't begin to guess, but it would make some difference in the feel and balance of the bass.