1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Church is Stressing Me Out.....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Donald Thompson, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Donald Thompson

Donald Thompson

Oct 20, 2018
    Just did a rehearsal where we've gotten the songs last minute with no time to go over them. Then the day after I've gotten a text with at least 9 songs on top of the 4 we already did. This is literally giving me high blood pressure.

Matt R, Winoman, five7 and 1 other person like this.
  2. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    No need to stress. You and the guys will do your best and it'll probably be fine. Interesting how musical necessity makes people step up their game. And if you guys ('cause this is a group project) suck, no kittens will be killed nor will you make the baby Jesus cry. I doubt you'll suck, though, so no worries.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I played at my congregation for a while. One performance a month with just one song.

4. Donald Thompson

Donald Thompson

Oct 20, 2018
    Is it ok to sit out this one?

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Things will go on just fine without you.

jfh2112 likes this.
  6. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I didn't see that coming.

Conkal likes this.
  7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    As long as you’ve got charts you’ll be fine. The chart I have for Sunday says “gregarious bass fill” for one of the songs. I’ve spent about 2 hours learning the two seconds of fill. But I’ve got it!

8. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    if you don’t know what to do just play anything

Axstar, jpTron, Mili and 7 others like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

Make charts.

Nail down what you can.

Jesus will still love you no matter how bad it is.

10. Donald Thompson

Donald Thompson

Oct 20, 2018
    Thank you.

11. Donald Thompson

Donald Thompson

Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah. Unfortunately this going to be my last Sunday in the town :(. But I'm PCSing from Fort Riley, so I feel kinda mixed about it.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey! You're new here! Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Are you getting paid? If not, that's a lot to ask. I also feel it's unprofessional to lay that many songs on musicians at the last minute. It's not cool.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Adopt the philosophy of Santa Claus regarding lists:

“I do the best I can with what I’ve got to work with. And if somebody ends up disappointed tomorrow morning, it won’t be the first time.”

kesslari, skwee, Winoman and 10 others like this.
  15. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I was reading the other day how Camp Funston was central to the 1918 flu pandemic outbreak.

fclefgeoff likes this.
  16. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Man, we practice on Fridays, go over the set before service (usually 3-4 songs). Then invariably the BL changes it up playing songs I either have never heard or certainly haven’t rehearsed. I’ll either hold on and do my best or just drop out. I’m a paid player but new to contemporary Christian so I feel your anxiety. As an added bonus he never plays the tunes in the key he calls out. Most challenging gig I’ve ever had lol.

17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Just play light with the drummer.. And play in tune with the song.. With some feeling and have fun.

Jesuguru, Blankandson, ak56 and 3 others like this.
  18. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. kind of the nature of the beast … only thing certain about playing with Worship groups is nothing is really going to be certain … the saving grace of it is usually you can work off of at least chord sheets during the service … and, it is never usually a mistake/problem/looked down upon, to simplify in these circumstances … no one is there to see you ;)

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Stress is a good thing. It is stress that causes us to grow and become stronger.

Pro bassists are born from situations like you are experiencing now.

If you don't believe me, just imagine a man who never had to experience any stress at all in his life. No work, No tests, everything handed to them on a silver platter for free. That's the kind of spoiled-rotten useless person who no one can stand to be around because of their narcissism and entitlement.

I know it's not fun, but if you accept it as a challenge and overcome it, you will be a better person. These situations will be easier for you in the future and others will benefit from your awesomeness too.

So get off of here and start making some charts and woodshedding. Find out what you are made of and then build on it. You might surprise yourself.

20. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Just play only the roots of chords falling on beats one and three. Or heck, even only beat one. Ignore the rest. If you really get lost, stop playing until you find your place. No one will notice.

retslock, Seanto, jam.majors and 4 others like this.