1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CIJ Geddy Lee action really high...truss rod maxed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Jun 4, 2014.

1. If I lower the string saddles, I get crazy fret buzz so I keep them relatively high. Then I moved onto the truss rod. It won't tighten anymore and I'm afraid if I force it, the neck will snap, seeing how thin it is. If I loosen the truss rod, it feels really loose and moves too freely...there should be some resistance to it.

I checked the neck after I tightened the TR as far as I could without risking snapping and the neck has too much relief. I;m using standard D'Addario Nickelwounds roundwounds 0.45-.105. Strings are also wrapped around the tuning pegs properly: the string is wrapped downwards as it should be.

What am I missing?

2. So high. It's so hard to press down on the frets

Attached Files:

3. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Oh boy...I'm really not sure what to do about the truss rod issue. Is the screw stripped...or just won't turn more?

4. Won't turn clockwise no more. When I do counter-clockwise, it feels very very very loose, as if it IS stripped. I dare not do anything else. Welp. To Tom Lee I go..

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Fret buzz is forgivable. Plug in, see if it is noticeable in your amp. Sometimes what sounds terrible unplugged is not an issue plugged in.
    Is the nut stock or modified? No offense but I assume you're loosening the strings completely when doing any work w truss?

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Def high action. looking down the neck from the bridge to the head, what's the curve like--skateboard quarter pipe or what.

Precision101 likes this.
  7. Fret buzz is very noticeable through the amp.

Uh...heh....:p....rightttt...forgot to loosen the strings. Well I was changing the strings on the Geddy anyways so I thought that was a good time to adjust the truss rod. It was still very hard to move clockwise

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    WHAT

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    start over

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    loosen strings to the point of uselessness.

11. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Aren't Jazz necks prone to developing an "S" bow in the neck, if you loosen the strings prior to a huge truss rod adjustment?

Take your bass to a tech, and have some extra light gauge strings(.40-90) ready to put on it for when you get it back.

12. Mennnggg I just got new .45-.105 strings and strung'em up on the Geddy...

13. UPDATE: I was wrong, I guess. The truss rod CAN be tightened, but it takes a bit of work to move that thang. Not too much work, but enough to not break the neck. Got the action to about the same level as my MIM jazz; it's relatively high but I don't need low action anyways

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    you can package the strings back up and put them in a zip lock bag. Wow, the Geddy bass seems to have quite a few problems. The action is really way too high and if the truss rod isn't tightening ( maxed out or frozen), definitely have the tech look at that as soon as you can. If the truss rod is maxed out, he can add washers that should give you about 1 1/2 more turns of adjustment. Have him look at it asap though, I wouldn't recommend trying to adjust it further on your own.

15. Really? They are D'Addarios roudnwounds in that corrosive-prevention grey plastic bag and they're already trimmed...

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes, it works lol. The biggest enemy of strings is moisture from the air, your hands, sweat etc. (Hence the zip lock bag). If they're trimmed, they will be ready to install on a jazz bass when you need it- just coil it like the way it was packaged and it will still be perfectly useable. I've kept a set of strings this way for a couple of years with no problem.
    That being said, I don't think you'll need to remove the strings and go to a lower gauge. You should be able to use the same strings after the tech has taken a look at it and fixed your problems.

17. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    read the update prior to yr post, jazzonlyjazz just got scared of tightening the trussrod. this is not a geddy with problems...

edit btw, so you guys know, the nut on the truss is gonna turn really easy until you get to the point where it actually starts doing something, then from there 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn at a time and let it sit for a day or two to see what the changes are once it stabilizes.

18. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    If you haven't already, you can try bending the neck back by holding bass body steady and pulling back on headstock. It may take two people. Gently pull the neck more straight. That should take pressure off the truss rod nut, then you can snug it enough to hold the neck where you have it. This has worked for me. Then there is not so much friction on the threads as you try to tighten the nut.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  19. Well the action is where I sort of want it to be. Low enough to fret without much finger strength, but high enough to prevent any stupid fret buzz that is audible through an amp.

I'm gonna let the wood rest for a day and see if it changes since the weather here in Vancity fluctuates everyday. It was hot yesterday but now it's pretty darn chilly.

20. Is it worth selling the bass as a whole or individual parts separately.

I know people go crazy for the badass bridges and that neck though.