1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Circle K strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Hart, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Chris is a shipping ninja. His turnaround is fantastic.

2. These look interesting. I've long been dissatisfied with the few choices available to bass players in terms of gauges. None have ever felt quite right to me, for one reason or another. Circle K at least are trying something different. They remind me of Thomastik-Infeld in that regard.

3. I plan on trying the .136 balanced 5 string set in the near future.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    KingRazor,
    I'm putting a 1.36 balanced set on my 6-string this evening or next.
    I'll let you what I think of them.

5. Cool thanks

6. Subscribed for more goodness. I just bought a set of DR Sunbeams, the only string that I've liked tonally for more than a week. I love a bright new set of SS strings but after that they are too scooped for me, so I use nickels even though they aren't as snappy as I'd like sometimes. At least they last longer.

I can't wait to try the balanced tension deal, it's a pet peeve of mine that most strings are unbalanced.

7. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster

Jul 7, 2010
    Boston, MA
    anyone else getting the untrusted connection error when they go to order from Circle K? Says sumthin bout their security certificate expiring?

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    All SSL issues reside within PayPal - if you trust them you will have no security issues with the ordering process. We initially had our own cert. but let it lapse as it was redundant.

The site's data base retains only your PayPal addy and membership info (if you decide to become a member).

9. That's too bad, I hate PayPal, they wound up costing me over $100 (which at the time was a lot to me). I'm never using them again.

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Sorry to have lost your business.

:(

11. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I just put a set of 4 string Balanced .150's on my Fender passive jazz, detuned 1/2 step to Bb, and these strings are the best I have ever used. Clear and strong, easy on the fingers. I am impressed.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you look at the Circle K site, it says you can arrange to pay with money order.
    Just a thought....

13. I was hoping there was another option! Sweet, cuz I definitely want some of these strings.

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    As earlier promised, my initial thoughts:

Installation and setup.
    Thursday evening I installed a balanced 136 set of Circle K strings on a six-string. (I chose the 136 set because it most closely matched the gauges I was replacing.)
    As expected, I needed to raise the saddles a bit under the E and B strings to accommodate the taper.
    The neck initially showed a bit more relief on the B side than I like, but was acceptable on the C side. I decided to wait until it settled in before making any adjustments. By the next day, the neck had straightened enough that no adjustment was necessary.
    Intonation adjustments were minimal except for the B, which was quite a bit thicker than the previous one.
    Over all, much less tweaking than I'd anticipated. WOOT! :hyper:

Sound.
    In my den, through a G-K head and fEarful 12/6, low volume, no other instruments: Pleasantly guitar-like in the upper frets of the D, G and C string, but lacked "oomph" in the "typical" bass register. They seemed top/mid heavy. Reminded me a lot of DR Sunbeams, which don't work well with that bass.
    The next night in a gig setting (with vocals, drums and amplified acoustic guitar), the strings sounded much better than at home/alone. I can't really judge them based on that night alone because I was fighting horrid sound from the room, stage monitors, and FOH. :mad:
    I did, however, notice that there wasn't the usual huge tone change when I moved between strings/registers. I found myself gradually working through different registers rather than making sudden jumps. I credit that to the balanced tension.

I was fighting the room so much that I didn't pay much attention to how the strings felt. I'll wait until after I've used them in a more comfortable setting before posting any comments/judgements.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Tried to visit the circle K website. Gets warning that one of its certificates has expired,a nd I cant access the website unless I accept the expired certificate. Whats that about? Windows vista home premium, AVG and Spybot search and destroy security as suppliment for std vista fair. I of course rejected the certificate and so couldnt proceed to visit the website. Last time I tried to visit website it was down for maintanance. So I assume the bad certificate is new? Jus wondering since circle K peeps wants peeps here to visit his website and try product. Yet the website has stuff that I get warned about from popups warnings.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it was answered a few posts up...

personally I would pay for the redundant cert for the none interwebz savvy visitor.

17. Sorry if this has been asked before. For you Circle K users, how long do the Circle K strings last compared to some of your other favorite strings?

18. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    My set has been shipped :) Cant wait to try them.
    I'm a string noob. I also ordered DR DDT's and some LaBella Deep Talkin Flats for other basses. Never tried any of these strings yet.

19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    You sir are a nutbag...

In a good way. If you made flats you would be my hero. As it is, I'm running chromes on my 35" 5 string tuned 1/2 step down, with dropped e and b. G#/C#/G#/C#/F#
    My .132 is flubtastic, and the .105 isn't the tightest either. I have a rosewood fingerboard, and play rather aggressively with vibrato, bends, you name it. Rounds will kill my fingerboard, so let me know when the flats are available and I'm there!

20. I just got the Balanced 40-136 set, last Thursday and these CK's are seriously, the BEST strings I've ever used.

I put 20 hours on them (1 live gig and 5 performances in a show pit band) over the weekend and then on a recording session Monday night.

The strings sound and feel great and they totally transformed the bass (Am Std Fender 5 string P) from being simply an OK bass to a great bass. I've used DR, Dunlop and Elixir on this bass and the CK's blow them all out of the water.

The tension and string balance are excellent and they really make this bass sing. The B string is killer and the strings are very stable. They intonate perfectly, play and stay in tune without any problem.

I had this bass Plek'd about a month ago and the CK's balanced tension make the neck's relief perfectly equal on the bass and treble side. With all other sets there was always more "bow" on the bass side making the neck uneven and harder to setup.

The CK's are super responsive and have made this bass a joy and very easy to play. I noticed immediately that I was not tense in my neck and left shoulder as I usually am after a gig.

CK's theories on string tension, gauges, construction and packaging are rock solid and not marketing BS. I wish this company great success and hope they'll be around a long, long, time.

I paid $36.00 plus shipping and they are well worth the price.
    Fast shipping and great customer service.

I intend to restring all of my round wound basses with CK's and I can't wait to try the next set on my US Lakland Sheff 5.