1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Circle K strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Hart, Jun 26, 2009.

1. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I just found out about these. I've been sending D'Addario messages to do balanced sets like this for a couple of years and they totally ignored me every time. I'm REALLY happy to find out this exists. A few questions before I place any orders:

1. What is the sound like on a fretted bass? I have a Rickenbacker 4003 with 45-60-80-105 Nickel XL strings that are very dead, and I want to try the Long Balanced 106 set on it.

2. What is the sound like on a fretless bass? I have a Rickenbacker 4003FL with 45-60-80-100 Fender Flats (the new ones that are like Chromes) but I'd like to give the same rounds I mentioned above a try on it.

3. On said fretless Ric, will these strings beat up the bubinga fingerboard? So far (I've gigged it for two years but always with flats or half-rounds) it's been impervious to damage.

4. What is the feel like? Very stiff, very noodly? Harmonic character? Compare to medium gauge typical rounds.

2. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    very flexible, full sound. i prefer dunlop nickels (slighty brighter to me)

3. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Okay. Does anyone out there have experience using them on fretless? Or another way of asking, do they "chew up" frets?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    technique chews fret(board)s. Metal > Wood.

That said, I have some on my fretless 6 and it hasn't visibly scored any more than the previous Stainless Rounds had already... but then I 'fret' lightly and stay away from blues guitarist style vibrato.

5. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I play lightly most of the time but once in a blue moon I just like to go nuts. So you can see my concern. What sort of fingerboard does your 6 have?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    going nuts doesn't necessitate fretting the strings any heavier than needed... I have a varied attack that can go from very heavy (I use a medium high action) to extremely light.

Anyway, no these are no harder on the fingerboard than any other roundwound.

My fretless 6 has an Acrylized Birdseye Maple board.

7. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Alrighty then. Will probably order some of these.

8. Did you listen to my clips? Clear and full are the descriptors that I like.

Clips are on a fretless, listen for yourself!

No, I don't think so. Over a few years there will be some wear - but IIRC Rics are pretty heavily coated on the fingerboard, so that'll prevent damage. Additionally, it will take awhile.

Lower tension feeling on my set, not loose, but playable. Not stiff at all.

9. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I did listen to your clips just now. Didn't catch that it was fretless. Thanks for your replies.

10. I'd like to try a set of these but none of the sets are anything (gauge-wise) similar to what I use now. Either the E/A are too heavy or the D/G are too light.

11. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Are you sure? At their site you can either go for "Traditional" or "Balanced" sets, the balanced sets tend to have slightly heavier E/A than the traditional.

I currently use 45-60-80-105 but CK's 43-58-60-106 gauges seem close enough to me, and I did an Excel spreadsheet to get the RSD of the tension and it's 1.6%, which is great. I'm probably going to try some. Also, the average tension per string is 43 lbs, which is what I have now with the D'Addario Nickel XLs in the gauges I listed.

12. Is there more than the one page of 4 strings sets? If so, then no they don't have anything similar to what I use.

EDIT: I see what you mean, but there's still nothing like what I use. I want a .45 G and a .100 E.

13. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That sounds like a fairly "Traditional" set with a looser E than G. You may want to look over their tension chart and see if you have any luck finding something that decreases slightly in tension as you get to the E string. How about 43-58-76-100? I know the middle strings may be smaller than most sets but that's actually because lots of sets use middle strings that are way too big.

Hope that helps--if not, sorry, maybe you are just out of luck like you say.

14. One of the best things about these strings are the untraditional gauges. If you email the company, or look at their information you'll see there's a method.

I highly encourage you to try out the variations. Email the company and listen to their recommendations.

Have an open mind and you'll be pleasantly surprised in feel and sound. If you know what you want then a new string choice probably isn't for you.

15. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i wouldn't go by the gauges...the 106 set did not feel like 106 to me at all.

16. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, gauge is only a small part of what determines the behavior of the final string. The only reason to really worry about gauge is whether you bass can fit it or not.

17. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I wish there were more clips of these floating around.

18. Do you have a request? I can make some more.

19. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Just got a new 5 string set of the Circle K traditional medium 130s for my Dingwall ABII. I have not had a chance to play them with the band yet, or even hear them through my rig, but I love the way they feel, and they sound great through the headphones.

They are just as described on the web site. They are not as sqeaky and zingy as the steels, but they are also not as scooped sounding as nickels. They are way long enough to handle the 37" B, and the tension feels perfect to me. Perhaps a bit less tension then the steels that are made by GHS for Dingwall.

I'll post and update when I've had a chance to rehearse them.

20. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Just a quick note to let everyone know about the quick service with Circle K.
    Ordered a set on Sunday (online); have it in my hands on Wed.

I'll report back after I get them installed and the bass adjusted.