1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Circle K strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Hart, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Wow those are some big-*** strings.

Oh ok i was looking at a LOW set.

2. How long is the taper - ball to full diameter?

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    1.75"

4. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    [​IMG]

???

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

Still confused?

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    That's unfortunate. My ball to bridge distance is less than 1". I really wanted to try these out.

7. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    You lost me - do you want full thickness across the saddle?

8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Oh! It's a different company. I was thinking "jeez, you can buy anything at the gas station now!"

9. ^ :rollno: :D

10. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Sorry.

11. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    My first impression was these strings were made on a dude ranch, or heavily marketed to country players... On a more serious note, I may have to check these out a little closer...

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Yes, i do. Sorry for being unclear. My DR strings are full thickness across the saddle, and i haven't suffered from any of the problems that tapers are purported to cure.

Of course, i most probably would try one K set just to check it out.

13. these strings are a godsend for what i want to do to my cort (5 string tuned to Low F, B etc..) i will be placing an order soon!

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Are you stringing below B0 on 34"- or 35"-scale instruments? The larger diameter and more wraps you go, the more obvious it gets that some extra flexibility at the bridge witness point is desirable. That's what a well-designed taper can address.

I have to say though: all of the Circle K strings and not just the fatter ones for low pitches are killer strings. They give me what I like about both stainless steel and nickel-plated strings in one package. The upper-pitched part of the set seems to present the entire natural overtone series more evenly - no odd scoops right in an area I want more output, and very revealing of changes in hand technique.

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Greenboy, i play a regularly tuned 6-er. BEADGC. I do believe that goes to B0. No problems with stiffness at the bridge... but then again i haven't tried any tapercore strings yet.

Knucklehead, above what gauge are the strings tapered?

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Notice the word below in my post above? ; } ...When you get down to F#0 or G0 is when it becomes for many players a desirable tradeoff to have taper.

Well, actually, even though you like full wrap over the bridge on B, a lot of players go for tapered there too, for the same reason. I'd presume so anyway, since almost every manufacturer/provider of bass strings makes tapered B.

17. Hey that's great for a top-loading bridge if you want it to taper off on the playing side :cool: My basses are just about exactly 1" from the inside edge of the ball to the witness point.

On the set you mentioned (.135 .105 .080 .065 .045) do the tapered stings just include E & B or more?

Do they wind down with decreasingly graduated windings all the way to the ball or a very sharp decrease to exposed core?

18. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The taper is apparent on the .110 at the bridge. All strings thicker than .085 taper at the headstock.

The .105 isn't tapered on my bass. Where the string is tapered at the ball end there is a single outer wrap around the core at the witness point. These are three wrap strings so the taper appears to 'step'.

19. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    [​IMG]

This is all I could think of when I saw the title of the thread.

20. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Now if I can just get Keanu a set..... the plan will have come together.

:D