1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Circle K strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Hart, Jun 26, 2009.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist:

2. So only the B string is tapered, and "stepped down" - great - I don't like the non-stepped to exposed core type.

Will using a 135 gauge harm my (plastic) nut slot cut for 130 so I can't go back?
    I realize it's only .005, but that can create a little slop.

The A is an 80 rather than 85 for even tension purposes?

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    You can likely run the string back and forth to get the slot to accept the .135 - you'll be able to go back to .130 if you want to.

Yes, the .080 is for balance with the remainder of the set.

4. Hmmmm. I'm excited to try these, but none of my basses need new strings yet. Maybe I'll take the flats off my P5 just to try these. I'm interested in seeing what the "balanced" sets feel like.

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    You actually need to make a choice here real soon - what do you want on your 6?

6. Copying the text from your site, I think these are the ones I want:

Do you think that will be a good choice for F# B E A D G tuning on the Quake?

7. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    That'd be my recommendation.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I used those gauges on 34" scale and they were very even and beautiful. Should really have some impact on a longer scale!

9. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm gonna have to try a set of these out soon...I have been using Elixir's for a long time, and have several new sets laying around here to be used... but have been looking for something else because the Elixir guys were kinda condescending to me when I contacted them with a question (don't asked it's not a big deal...it just bugged me a little)...

Anyways I've bookmarked the Circle K website and will pick up a set soon to give a test drive...

10. I'm really curious how they feel and sound compared to some of your preferred brands. I'm also curious how long they last. I'm currently enjoying DR Nickel-Plated Lo Riders.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm assuming just roundwound?
    Site didn't specify

12. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    Any Dingwall owners out there tried these yet on their ABII's? :hyper:

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It gets real subjective, but I myself like them better than any other SS or nickel-plated strings, giving near the treble of good SS and the lower mids fullness and upper mids dig-in bite of better nickel-plated, which aids in string-to-string balance when using a low B or whatever sub-E tuning one might be into. They seem to last ages without changing much after the first few days. They feel nice, not too grabby, and not too floppy even with lower gauges.

14. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Mine are starting to die; I've had them for a little over two weeks. HOWEVER, I just did 19 rehearsals & shows of the Who's Tommy with them at a theatre that doesn't run amps through the house system (not enough power there to do it). So, I put them through what many might consider a horrible situation.

Comparatively, the D'Addarios I used for the show prior lasted only the first week of shows before dying, as have many other strings I've used at that same venue (under the same circumstances). So, all in all, I would easily say that Circle Ks will last longer than most strings out there.

15. I recently got a 6-string "Balanced" set (.135 .100 .080 .060 .040 .030) and wanted to comment that the lighter gauged high strings (G & C) are really working well for me.

I've always found my high C string to be too "plinky" or "twangy" to mesh with the rest of the instrument, so I seldom use it. With the balanced set, the high strings have a lot more low mids in the tone, so I may be able to work the high C into some bass lines now without cringing at the sound.

EDIT: This is on a 35" scale bass.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Full Fledged Convert here :bassist:

So I've had my super ultra light set of Circle K strings on my Bee for about a week now... I love them!

I ended up with a balanced set of .106 - .080 - .061 - .046 - .033 - .025 - .018p and the Depth and Girth of tone from the .106 B and .080 E are thunderous. Excellent focus and clarity... good over all tone across the board.

I'm a die hard Stainless Round guy and these have NONE of the typical nickel round traits I dislike... yet they are clearly not stainless rounds either. They hit it pretty good as a happy medium between Stainless and Nickel rounds.

I can't wait to try my .118 Balanced set on my fretless 6 (might take the time to install them tonight)

Mystic Michael likes this.
  17. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Holy Shmolies James! If I did my math right, your .106 B would have about 24 lbs of tension. Wow...that would seem so loose to me. If your B has excellent focus and clarity under tension that low...that certainly speaks well for Circle K strings! (You must also have some great technique!;))

Bryan

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks... it's also a speaks well for my basses build quality :)

It only took a few moments to adjust to the feel... the higher strings took a little more to get a handle on. It's a balanced set... so the higher strings have less tension than expected when judged against the lower strings.

I hope to record some samples soon.

19. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I got to try out a few different sets. They're quite good. I can elaborate in more detail later. These strings are definately worth trying.

20. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    Just used a set on a 5 string, they sound great. Try these people!