1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cirrus battery life, Rechargeables

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plstrns, May 12, 2011.

1. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I've searched, but I'm not satisfied.

I have 3 Cirrus basses that each eat 2 x 9 volts in 12- 15 hours of playing time- 18 or so with Duracells. They can go unplugged and the batteries last, so it's not an "always on" issue.

Does anyone have experience with rechargeables like the powerex true 9.6 NiMd's or the ipower li-polymer lithiums?

2. I personally JUST bought duracell NiMH batteries like 4 days ago. I haven't used them yet, but will be trying them out on sunday/monday for our long practices

3. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I see you play Spectors. I've had 3 Spectors, and they didn't eat batteries at all like the Cirrus.

Cirrus' eat batteries as if they have moving parts. Batteries are getting really expensive. It's $3 for a Crappy Rayovac now days, so that's $6 + a week in batteries in basses alone.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I use NiMH batteries in my camera that eats alkaline batteries for breakfast. In one sense, they work great. Lots of storage capacity. They have a great recycle life and last a long time. Bad news is that they lose charge sitting on the shelf. Hence, when I grab my camera and NiMH are in it, the thing is ALWAYS dead! Hence I keep some alkalines handy in case I want to grab a quick shot. The bottom line is that if you use these batteries in a bass you must BE SURE to ALWAYS put it on the charger before the gig!

Let me add that NiCd batteries are totally worthless. I got tired of putting them in my cordless phone here which is why it's unplugged and sitting over there.

Lithium batteries are pretty decent for capacity and holding a charge, but the storage capacity slowly drops over a few years and they pretty soon only run for a few minutes (like your laptop with old batteries).

So having cycled through this mess several times, I strongly recommend some sort of phantom power from your amp. That's what I'm setting up.

5. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    A belt pack power supply would be fine, but I'm wireless even at rehearsals.

Cords suck.

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    In my experience rechargeable batteries drain faster than traditional batteries, resulting in removing them even more often.

7. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    low-discharge type NIMH rechargeable batteries are the soulution IMO, I bought one a couple of mounths ago, and it works fine for me. you can leave this in the bass for weeks/mounths, and it loses only a small amount of capacity. I hope they will be more standard, now I only know only 1-2 brands who make them.
    (I'm converting to wire power though, but this battery is nice)

8. cool thanks for the advice to everyone who gave it.

completely didnt mention the rechargeables are for my wireless system. 9v batteries are fine for me, no issues at all.

OP I'm sure you know this but unplug your patch cord after using your guitar. if it stays plugged in it will think your bass is on

9. Something sounds wrong with the Cirrus. I can get way more than 15 hours out of batteries. Perhaps there's something completing the circuit or something is just wrong with the electronics.

10. I would estimate that I get something like 50+ hours on a set of batteries. Maybe 100+ hours. They last for months, so it's difficult to track.

How are you setting the controls on the Cirrus?

11. Is this normal for Cirrus basses? I was thinking of getting one but not if they are "battery hogs". I thought I have seen similar posts regarding battery draw on these basses.
    Brent

12. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yeah, I've had 2 Cirrus. Still have one. Had the first one for a year. Put new batteries in when I got it and never had to change them. Had my other one for months now and haven't had to change them, either.

I read something here on TB recently that suggested that if you really crank the boost on the EQ that makes it chew the batteries faster (versus having the EQ flat). I have no idea if that's true. Is it possibly why yours is eating batteries so fast?

I put Millennium preamps in both my Cirrus and have never found any need to crank the EQ boost anywhere near all the way up. A little bit goes a long way.

13. I've been considering getting rechargeables for my new cirrus. My problem is that I got used to playing my passive and I keep leaving the cirrus plugged in by accident. You guys should buy some duracell stock. ;-)

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have 2 Cirrus - No battery issues. No different than any other active bass I have had.

Active basses should be phantom powered like mics and then we don't have this issue! Why can't the makers get this together?

ed morgan likes this.
  15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wouldn't do me any good... since I go wireless.

16. No.

17. I have a relatively flat EQ on my amp, so I like to crank the mids and bass while cutting the treb. I don't notice that the battery life is being drained that much quicker.

18. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I use a flat eq, sometimes with a slight mid bump. Volume 100%, PU's center or just rear of center.

I have no idea what could be wrong. They can hang on a stand for a year and have a good battery, just don't play them.

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow. I've owned a couple of Jazz Deluxes, a couple of Stingrays, a Warwick, a 55-02, and an ESP that were active and I change the batteries every spring when I change the batteries in the smoke detectors. I don't think I ever had a battery run down on me, but I just change them to make sure they're "fresh".

Granted, I tend to play one more often then others for weeks at a time (still try to give all some playing time) before moving on to one of the others. However, I do use regular 9V batteries rather than rechargeables.

20. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I concur. I have been using Power Bug batteries (no longer manufactured) and they last for at least a year in my Cirrus.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: