1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

1. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Great!
    Now what about the other banned woods?

2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Hold my beer. We got this,

ak56 likes this.
  3. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Sadly what they're saying isn't 100% correct. The Larrivée website says:

"After November 28th 2019, no CITES permit is required when shipping or travelling with a Rosewood Guitar."

While this may be correct with regards to CITES it also requires the countries you're travelling between to have actually implemented the changes. I doubt a single country will have implemented the changes by Nov 28th. Which means that crossing international borders with rosewood may still be illegal and your guitar may still get confiscated.

Exactly when the CITES amendments will be implemented in each country around the world is anyones guess. I asked my local enviromental agency and they could not give me an anwer, except that it would 100% NOT happen by Nov 28th. Sometimes next year seems more likely.

It's also worth mentioning that CITES member nations can still choose to keep the restrictions on rosewood. The changes only PERMITS them to lift restrictions, it does not necessarily mean they have to do it and says nothing about when, except that it can't happen BEFORE Nov 28th.