1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Bentley

Bentley Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2008
  2. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Good news! The CITES Convention has given its final approval to an amendment CITES treaty Appendix II (Prop 52) that will exempt “finished musical instruments, finished musical instrument parts and finished musical instrument accessories” that contain rosewood (dalbergia)(except Brazilian rosewood), bubinga, tulipwood and cocobolo from the treaty’s restrictions.

Two quick points:

1. These changes do NOT become effective immediately. The amendment becomes a part of the CITES treaty 90 days after its adoption (August 27). But, for practical purposes, the effective date will be on a country-by-country basis as each one changes its own national laws and regs that implement CITES.

2. These changes do NOT affect Brazilian rosewood. The international sale of instruments containing Brazilian rosewood is still basically banned.

Still, good news!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    And transport of your pre CBS Fender?
    Brazilian rosewood.

Garret Graves and murphy like this.
  4. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Nothing has changed concerning instruments containing Brazilian rosewood. That species is listed on CITES Appendix I. Consequently, in order for Brazilian rosewood in any form to move internationally the appropriate permits are required. Each country has its own requirements, so what follows is true only for U.S. residents.

In the US, CITES is administered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, who now offer a "musical instrument passport" good for 3 years. It costs $85. It requires you to enter the US at one of 31 designated CITES ports of entry. See here for more info: Musical Instruments

Another great website for musicians trying to figure out CITES is here:
    League of American Orchestras

And let me repeat myself. CITES is an international treaty that is enforced by each member country with its own laws and regs. Those laws and regs can be stricter (but not less strict) than what CITES requires. I'm an American living in the US, so if you live in any other country you need to check with your own government to figure out exactly what the rules are that will apply to you.

So, basically, international travel with an instrument containing Brazilian rosewood is, and will probably forever be, a huge PIA. And the international sale of an instrument with Brazilian rosewood is prohibited. But for all of the other common bass woods, things are about to get better.

Jim C, mikewalker, roogbass and 3 others like this.
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oh, I don't need more info, you do. As I noted in my post (see, below), I did not post a redundant link to said article. I posted a link to a now-closed TB thread on the topic with the same title as the article. But whatever, it is moot now. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

N.B. is not Niels Bohr or New Balance, it is nota bene abbreviated. Note Well.
    Nota bene - Wikipedia

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    mikewalker likes this.
  6. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    My apologies...btw the "scroll up" advice was for those concerned about Brazilian rosewood in particular.

roogbass likes this.
  7. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :hyper:

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    These are two very important points. The second one is pretty clear. Sale of Brazilian Rosewood is banned.
    But the first point is not so cut-and-dried. It will take some time (perhaps years) for the signatory countries to change their legislation to suit.

9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    This news was just released. I believe it exempts instruments with rosewood already manufactured from the prior CITES restrictions placed on rosewood, so previously manufactured instruments with rosewood can be traded freely again:

CITES Policy Updates

JACink, Clark Dark and TolerancEJ like this.
  10. Great news!

11. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Notable details:

Effective in late November 2019 - the exact date to be announced.

The exception applies to all species of dalbergia except Brazilian rosewood, which remains on CITES Appendix I.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    good luck certifying whether your fretboard is *brazilian* rosewood or not. :rollno:

Instruments should have been exempted, period.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  14. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Guitar.com recently asked a panel of industry luminaries to give their thoughts on the future of rosewood in guitar now that the CITES restrictions have been lifted. Among the panel, many a happy chappie.

bdplaid and matti777 like this.
  15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    In case it's not clear, duplicate threads get merged sometimes. I realize that this means that the same article might get posted multiple times. sorry, but yeah.

16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    the_Ryan, matti777 and clbass like this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I just saw some photos of a house that has solid BRW flooring!