1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clarus SL @ 2 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've already sent a message to Rick @ AI but thought I'd ask here too:

Has anybody run a Clarus SL with a 2 ohm load (or any of the other AI heads rated at 2 ohms)? I'm running a Wizzy 10 now and considering adding in some instances, either an 8 ohm cab or another 4 ohm cab.

2. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I have used my Focus several times at 2 ohms (and loud volume) with two 4 ohm Acme Low B-2 cabs. Works fine, although the amp does get a bit warmer then when running at 4 ohms.

3. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have routinely run a Clarus SL, a first generation Focus and a second generation focus into a two-ohm load, generally two ContraEX speakers or two Wizzy 10s. The only time I ever had a problem was one gig that involved doubling, and I needed to get quite loud for a Blue Brothers set. I was playing through the 2nd generation Focus into the 2 ContraEX cabs, and the amp started cutting out for short periods intermittently. When I spoke to Rick about it afterwards, he felt that the relative inefficiency (necessary in order to get the very low frequencies with no roll-off) of the original ContraEX cabs just weren't designed to have loud punchy bass guitar lines thrown at them. The amps have protection circuits built in so that I didn't do any damage. It was these circuits kicking in that caused the intermittent drop-outs. When I switched to 2 Wizzy 10s, I've never had a problem and two of those speakers can get loud indeed.

Erik Hansen
    Scotland

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I had the same experience running the Clarus with a WZ10 and a WZ12. I hit a big low B (bass guitar) and the amp cut out. Rick reminded me that actual impedance with bass can get REALLY low (like 1/10 ohm) when low notes and hard attack combine with volume.

5. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i've used my focus series three at many loud 'slab' gigs running at 2 ohms or at 2.67 ohms with absolutely no problems save one: at daytime outdoor gigs with the amp placed in the sunlight, the amp would shut off. this happened twice. the solution: place the amp in the shade and keep it out of direct sunlight. huzzah! hth, later, ron