1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

class D amplify

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I was checking on other thread about the cab but I also have interest in getting a small amp, a class D amp for my portable rig together with GS 112.
    Is there any class D amp that I should consider beside my wish for a Tone Hammer 500. I have never own any Aguilar rig but think it should be good.

Wonder if any make of class D amp is as good as it's partents (class A or B)

thanks.

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I haven't as much experience with class D as many others here, but from what I can tell there isn't really any issues with class D at all. At least not tonewise, compared to other SS amps.

Both the GK MB series I had, and the TC head sound as good as the next thing IMO. Neither is perfect, but whatever the shortcomings might be, I have no valid reason to blame class D for them. ;)

3. I tried the GK before but no other yet. SWR seems to give the most features among class D and, as always, Aguilar is the least. If I haven't own SWR rig I would go for it for sure but this time I will try class D from Agui.
    I guess that on stage you don't hear much details anyhow so class D should be OK.
    Thanks.

4. Wonder why the selling price of those class D are almost the same. Seems to me that everyone are carfully with price war. I understand that the components from those are equally not the state of art and likely cost the same.

5. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    The GK MB200 are getting fantastic reviews. I have an MB500, only used it a few times, but it’s pretty impressive.

6. Thanks

7. Anyone have tried Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. How is it like?

8. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey

don't believe they are out yet

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  10. If you're on a budget, you might want to look at the new Ampeg PF-500, as well. Good reviews to date, and cheap- $100 less than the bargain-priced G-K MB500!

Or if you want to get a bit more spendy, there's always the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 or Streamliner 900. Very loud, forceful amps, yet both weigh well under 10lb. I have a Streamliner, and it's definitely more in the "old school", tubey end of the pool. Very big, thick and saturated.

11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    My GS112 (one or two of 'em) gets power from a MarkBass F1 and I think it sounds great. Easy enough to try the (updated) F500 at Guitar Center to see if you like the tone as well.

Edit: Oops, noticed you're in Tailand, maybe not so easy to audition gear.

12. I thought you can now get Tone Hammer 500

13. I think its real close to being available. Most place that sell Aguilar are taking pre-orders...

14. southpawpa

southpawpa

Feb 16, 2011
    +1 for the MB500.

I gigged it 3 times this week w/ a J style 6 string & 2 different cabs.
    Kustom G410H, & an Epifani 610. I had plenty enough juice through either cab for a 100' x 100' room in a loud rock cover band w no PA support. It gets tested at an outdoor gig today.

15. Wonder if Tone Hammer 500 can produce similar sound quality as their DB series. One the other hand, would TH 500 give something better than having their original Tone Hammer preamp through a standard bass power amp.

I noticed that most of class D amps they tend to provide more features than their original basic amps as they contained with pure sound chip (module) compare to multi basic chips so they can have every sounds and effects in just one chip. Aguilar is the only one I noted that don't extend those features.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    MarkBass F1/LMII springs to mind as both having the same feature set.
    After using A/B heads for a few years ive now gone to all class D (once i sell my SA450) and not noticed any downsides, plus quite a few upsides.

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been very happy with my Shuttle 6.0, but I'm sort of GASsing for a Streamroller 9.

KO

18. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    A happy TH500 user here...

As for the bells and whistles, I think it says something that using my 1974 Precision the TH500 can be played "everything flat" meaning all knobs at noon position with master to desired volume - and it sounds great. Tweaking can get you a variation in the nuances of "greatness".

19. I heard a lot from Shuttle 6 as well so I guess that it should be quite interesting.
    My thinking is that class D amp do not really need to stamp the sound identity to it but to be the most versatile for making gigs at various environment. Would be nice if some of them add the sound effects on it too.