Class D amps vs traditional amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Miketron75, Dec 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    I am buying a Traynor SB500H and I’m used to the Classic solid state amps, weight differences aside, how do you think I will feel about a class D amp? Some people say the power just isn’t there or something is missing, others say they are amazing. It seems that a lot of people that are blown away with Class D amplifiers are younger people that have never really used solid state or tube amps, opinions? Also I like to run my analog pedals directly to the front input of the head, does a class D amp react or sound differently with pedals than I should expect from solid state? Thanks in advance.

DJ Bebop, mb94952, GrapeBass and 3 others like this.
  2. Just close your eyes and treat it like a bass amp.
    The differences that might come up in conversation - like here - are just as subjective as the differences you may or may not find between brands, models within a brand and models from year to year.
    Good to argue about but that’s about it.

DJ Bebop, smogg, biguglyman and 25 others like this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Tell us what you think after you receive your Traynor.
    Good choice, in my opinion.

DJ Bebop, Zbysek, dbbltime and 6 others like this.
  4. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Search for "heft" and "slam" and you will find many threads about it. I've not been wowed by the class D amps I've tried, to me they sound and feel compressed. That might be useful, but I prefer the way a Trace Elliot or a GK RB series head just slaps you silly when cranked.

I do like the TE Elf - still a little compressed sounding when turned up but it puts out a lot of power for it's size.

Raz

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just play bass and don't worry what class the amp is or what color it is.

Geri O, ColdEye, Rip Van Dan and 92 others like this.
  6. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I own several tube amps and conventional solid-state amps (and owned an SVT in the 1970s), but my all-time favorite is my class D Peavey Headliner amp. Just use a high-quality speaker cabinet.

DJ Bebop, smogg, bassdude51 and 4 others like this.
  7. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    Go back and reread my post.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    I’ve got a bunch of really high-end cabinets including the matching Traynor neo cabs, It will be hard to beat my old school Yorkville solid-state amp so, we shall see.

MarMar likes this.
  9. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    Useless reply

iammr2, Razman and Socobass like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

I've been playing for well over 50 years now, and have owned way more than my share of solidstate (SS) and tube amps. These days, I only have a couple of Class D amps, which are, BTW, SS amps.

Hope this helps.
    How so? :eyebrow:

11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    LOL

bolophonic, DJ Bebop, Zbysek and 17 others like this.
  12. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Respectfully disagree. Color definitely matters… more than class anyway.

Color is something even the most clueless bandmates and audiences can discern and reasonably opine on, and the color may or may not be suitable for your style. Can’t credibly say that about amp class.

BrBss, Tendril, Zbysek and 12 others like this.
  13. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    To clarify, after playing for 35 years I’ve played through just about everything, toured professionally worldwide in the early 2000s for about 10 years, class d amplifiers were just coming around at that time and to this day I have yet to be overly impressed other than by the fact that they are weightless lol, I have high hopes for this class D amp I ordered but time will tell

MarMar likes this.
  14. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Class D is solid state.

I have had tube rigs, played through plenty of older solid state rigs, etc, and class D amps are great. Lightweight and high power. They will take your pedals fine. It's like anything else, certain amps you'll like and certain amps you won't, regardless of them being class D. I've played through class D that I did not like, and currently use a Mesa that is fantastic. You will just have to see if you like your Traynor, but as far as functionality goes, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    DJ Bebop, smogg, AGCurry and 7 others like this.
  15. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    I actually did that which is common sense, when class D amps first came out, and I thought they sucked. TC electronics, and Mark bass in my opinion we’re just lame when compared to traditional amps of the time. That was about 15 years ago so I’m hoping they have improved since then

DJ Bebop and birminghambass like this.
  16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Did the LP type of playback media improve any since the first wax cylinders came to market? ;)

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    @agedhorse it's one of the most respected amp builders in the world, and likely designed a few of the amps you've toured in the last 20 years.

He's also right: what class of power section an amp has tells you nothing about how a bass amp sounds in 2021.

It's not 2006 anymore.

To that end, I was an Aguilar artist for a number of years and the Bergantino Forte HP that I'm currently using is a head and shoulders better amplifier than the highly venerated DB750.

Not because the DB750 isn't a great amp, or because the HP is a class D amp: the HP is simply a better designed piece of equipment.

That's all that matters, the complete design of the entire amp, not what class of power section it has.

18. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    No actually .

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    And then at the end of the night put the amp in a little case along with all of your other gear and carry it all out in one trip. And be happy.

20. Miketron75

Miketron75 Inactive

Nov 28, 2019
    Another useless response

Razman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.