1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Class D head from Matamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gonzo476, May 23, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
  2. A 500W DIGITAL amplifier?????? Say what! :scowl:

3. That's like Aston Martin releasing a station wagon. So so wrong.

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I feel a disturbance in the Force...

5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    They've had several... The Virage Shooting brake, the Lagonda, and at least one other I can't recall the name of.

6. Doesn't make it right :D

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Ha @ 'digital'.

Matamp have done tons of solid state stuff. I have a very excellent 1000w Matamp.

8. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Really? I thought Matamp always made tube amps. Which model do you have?

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Its like Aston Martin releasing a station wagon and telling people its a hybrid, when it's a gas engine.

Can we please put a stake through the heart of the myth that class D is digital pleeeeeeeeeeeeze.

10. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Matamp under Matt Matthias were always on the forefront of developing tech for high quality audio engineering, which is why the amps have stood the test of time without a hype machine. He quit making instrument amps when everyone wanted distortion, because all the engineering skill is in making amps that don't distort, and went to PA and studio gear. I have a Quasar 1000 mosfet power amp.

11. Depends on pricing vs the Orange Bass Terror.

12. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Bear in mind this isn't a valve pre one. Its a simple lightweight, so different kind of aim.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    At this point, the use of "digital" for a switchmode amp has become common enough that we might as well get used to it. Especially when there are no bass amps with true digital power sections on the market, and unlikely to ever be.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If they're good at something, making amps, let them evolve.

Plenty of room in the market for more lightweight, powerful, reliable heads.
    The twist is the signature sound manufacturers can add through the pre-amp/signal processing. This is where it gets exciting that Matamp tuned ears messing with the new stuff. It's nothing but good.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    :mad: We don't have to go willingly.

16. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I've always rather wanted a Matamp, but never wanted to drag around all the weight. Depending on how this turns out I'm pretty excited

17. Well, the "D" has to stand for something, and "Discrete" just doesn't sound loud enough:ninja:

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

It was just the next letter in the alphabet.

Class-A
    B
    AB (because it's A and B mixed)
    C
    D

That's all. Class-D Patented in the early '60s, AES/IEEE or some standard org gave it the next letter.

Now, all bets are off Class-T, Class-Z no standard, just marketing.

19. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Hey man, it's my DIGITAL power amp from 1987! :p Big toroidal transformer, 35 lbs., and I guess thirty bazillion 1's and 0's to magically produce 200W/ch @ 4ohms. :D Such silly marketing.

"An innovative approach to audio amplification by utilizing Digital Energy Conversion technology, the result of a dedicated effort to merge the advantages of high-speed digital computer electronics, high efficiency semiconductor devices and electro-magnetic energy conversion technology."

Uh huh! Class-D and SMPS=digital? Sure, whatever, and cathode biased push-pull tube amps are somehow class-A according to most manufacturer's marketing materials.

deca.jpg

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    "Analog" seems to be the marketing word that digital marketers use. A digital synth comes out with "Analog sound", they draw pictures of analog gear on the screen when you bring up a digital plug-in.

I bet if Peavey made that amp today they'd call it "Analog Conservation Amplifier"

The next bread of class-d amps will be "Lightweight, High Efficient, Analog design"
    Anti-D antidote to "digital"