1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Class D Power Amp Users: Please Report In.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I would like to hear from Class D power amp users and their experiences, good or bad, with their amp choice.

I am especially looking forward to hearing from users who have put quite a few miles on their power amps (like 2 or more gigs a month over 2 or more years).

Is there a specific brand that has higher failure rates?

I am specifically interested in the Peavey IPR series and the Crest Pro-Lite series. I'd like to hear about others as well.

Is there a specific model which is just head and shoulders above others in terms of reliability and is just generally better built?

2. Have that much on two IPR1600's (PA use). Trouble free and sound better than the lead sleds they replaced

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I sold a Crown K2 to a local club about ten years ago, which I had bought used from a sound company a few years before that. I'd estimate that it has at least 20,000 hours on it by now (probably way more actually), mostly running subwoofers in bridged mode for rock applications and occasional DJ duty. It's sealed and fanless and has never even required cleaning. Sounds great too.

My Class D SpeakerPower plate amp has been flawless for 5 years and hundreds of bass gigs as well.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Okay, I guess I should specify I am looking for power amps around 10LBS or thereabouts. :cool:

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Once you put nearly any of them in a decent rack they'll top that.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I built a 2u rack of cheap 1/4 inch ply that weighs 4LBS so not too bad, me thinks. :D

7. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Cool. I'd take the Crest over the Peavey due to the superior warranty alone, personally. But I know every pound matters a lot more to you T. ;)

8. I have two class d power amps right now, and I have used a Tonehammer pedal to drive both of them at one point or another.

Sonically I dont hear a difference between the IPR and the ProLite. The prolite is heavier, but it has a few more bells and whistles.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, you have me pegged Charlie. :) I actually own a QSC 2402 and I like it alot. However, once its racked, cables and cords are added, preamps and pedals are added... well lets just say its well above 35LBS and as a result I just don't use it that much. As a result, I am probably going to end up selling it.

I just want to know if there is a particular light-ish Class D that outshines the rest.

10. The building I work in upgraded their power amps for the the building P.A. system a year ago. They are the Peavey IPR series amps. Those amps are on 24/7 and they've never had a problem since. Peaveys are rock solid.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I own two Carvin Class D amps. A BX1500 and a DCM1000L. both have been as solid as I could wish for.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you want really light, go micro head.

13. Torin has a mb500. There are no micros delivering the type of power he wants.

14. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    If weight or the lack thereof is an issue, here's 3.5 pounds. Ta Da !

Demeter so probably NOT a POS with potential failure worries. It's relatively new so I have zero experience. A lot of the guys with Moniques are pairing it up with this.

Minnie800D-228x228.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  16. I haven't read a ton of reviews but my Crown XLS Drivecore 1000 has been used extensively for the last 2 years. My buddy had a IPR that was shorted by a leaky DC in the pre. Peavey still covered under warranty.

Can't speak about the Crest. Crown might be an amp to consider. My Drivecore has been awesome for me. Running 4 ohms a side, 4-15" speakers in total. Love it.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Cool. The only thing that holds me back from the Crown is the 1.4 input sensitivity.

18. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    What exactly are your power needs these days Torin?

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    A minimum of 800w at 8 ohms would be nice.

20. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I'm curious as to why you sold the HD1500 I sold you. Those were the exact specs of that amp.