Classic Hard Rock and Metal, anyone?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ScrewDevil, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    Probably been done but would anyone like to talk classic hard rock/metal? My main band plays lots of the old school classic rock and metal from decades past. Anyone else into it?

2. I'm game. Just for starters, my car radio is tuned to SiriusXM 39 about 95% of the time. On occasion, I move to channel 38. ("Hair Nation" and "Ozzy's Boneyard", respectively).

Socobass, Kmonk, Super Bass and 2 others like this.
  3. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    just watched the iron maiden history series on youtube, man they went through alot of people in their early years.

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Started that when it was new! :D

Wise(b)ass

5. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    I hear ya, bro! Lol

byoung93888 and Wisebass like this.
  6. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    We changed lineups a little last year and dropped some songs. Iron Maiden tunes got cut. I was sad. Lol. I love playing Maiden.

Phud and byoung93888 like this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    You must be kidding!

No "Trooper" = no metal gig! :roflmao:

Wise

SM2, Artman, TrevorOfDoom and 2 others like this.
  8. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Metal was what inspired me to play, back in the day! Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, DIO. Black Sabbath, Mob Rules; Iron Maiden, Killers; Scorpions, blackout; and Judas Priest, Unleashed in the East rotated continuously in my Sanyo Cassette Boom box!

Phud, Kitsapbass, Gyver and 5 others like this.
  9. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    That's my favorite one to play, too! Lol

s van order and Wisebass like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    get a haircut! :roflmao:

Wise

11. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    We do lots of other good band covers though. A couple I never thought I'd enjoy doing, too.

12. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Been wanting to start up a 2nd band to cover my harder side. Especially now since vocal lessons have upped my singing abilities. The band I'm in now pooh poohs most of my harder selections.
    And yes The Trooper is going to be on the list.

Wisebass and Ellery like this.
  13. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    For the folks attracted to this thread, what is your favorite bass and/or rig for this style? Who here tries to mimic a specific tone, and how do you do it?

14. I love it, and my 12 year old son thinks all my music sounds “angry”. I grew up in the ‘70s, and will not tolerate the “hair bands” as I consider them, like Poison, Deff Lepard, etc. I currently am digging Mastodon, and getting back into older stuff circa “Master of Puppets” and the like. My music must be be HARD.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  15. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'm never trying to be nobody but me. Maybe once I get into it I might tweak the amp some. Mostly I grab the bass I feel like playing at that moment and go for it.

Ellery likes this.
  16. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

This makes me feel sooo old!!!
    I still remember a time when THERE WAS NO "Classic Rock"!! It was just Rock (or Hard Rock). I remember the time when Ozzy's music would scare people, instead of being used in commercials!

Regarding the rig, it would be your choice of Fender bass (With or without an added mudbucker) and an SVT amp.
    Honorable mention for the Ric and Acoustic 360/361.

design, Artman and Richard Cranium like this.
  17. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

Well, I do like *some* hair bands. Some got unjustly labelled (Quiet Riot), while others fully embraced it (Warrant, Poison).
    I find most hair bands, the late 80s equivalent to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga: Bubblegum Metal. Good for the masses, catchy as hell but, ultimately, with no substance...

Loring likes this.
  18. Love_Bass

Love_Bass

Sep 5, 2012
    I liked Ozzy bass players. Bob Daisley, Rudy Sarzo and Phil Soussan..They didn't just pluck root notes during those epic guitar solos.

Loring, Kenova, Socobass and 3 others like this.
  19. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    I mainly use this. I can cop some pretty heavy tones with it. 20170909_142825.jpg 20170909_142751.jpg

Ellery, JeffC23 and osv like this.
  20. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    And for a few less heavy tunes, I use this... 20170812_191920.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022