1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic Vs. Crazy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve4765630, Apr 3, 2006.

1. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I was just wondering what made you guys tick when it comes to classic styled basses (Fender, Sadowski, Lakeland, Mike Lull, etc.) vs. modern stlye models (Alembic, Warrior, F Basses, Fodera, etc.)? I happen to like both. I own a "cookie cutter" EBMM as well as some crazy high end "hippie sandwich" stuff like Warrior and Alembic. To me looks are secondary to everything else, but I know some of you are hardcore one way or the other. For me if a bass feels good and sounds good, I like it no matter the aesthetics. If you're like me and anything goes, no need to respond. This question is for those "hippie sandwich" haters and "cookie cutter" haters. What do you think? I'm very interested to know.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I put playability and feel first- if you're buying a quality instrument, you can usually change the sound quite a bit with different pickups, preamps, etc., but playability and feel are pretty hard to change and they're what makes a bass enjoyable to play.

But I do think looks are important- with all the great basses out there, there's no reason to settle for something that you don't think looks great. I'm definitely in the "crazy" looks camp- some classic Fenders look nice to me, but I always prefer exotic woods. And I don't mean flamed or quilted maple. I mean "that bass looks like a deranged leprachaun took too many drugs and then vomited on it" exotic.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like classic, although i do enjoy some crazy ones.. but my sterling is as classic as it gets.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I come from an art background, and arrived at bass as a middle-aged person. So I love the weird-looking basses! It's only recently that I've bought my first normal-looking Fender, and I had to get over my artsy-fartsy ego to make that purchase. In music, form and function twine around each other in interesting ways.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Classic = :) Crazy = I appreciate the woodworking but not for me.

6. I'm more into Classic looking basses, because it looks good with anything you play! Imagine playing some classic rock with a BC Rich!

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Imagine auditioning for Bill Monroe with a Ritter.

8. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Big fan of cookie cutters, here. Alls I need is 4 strings and a pickup or two. :) Seriously, I think this thread is bound for flame-dom, though. It's all a matter of preference.

9. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Thanks guys. I was just wondering what makes each guy tick when it comes to different bass ergos. You've helped me understand. Gracias.