Classical pieces

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Sumguy7787, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Sumguy7787

Jan 12, 2006
    I have recently decided to audition to minor in jazz studies at Rowan University. It's kind of short notice and the jazz audition requires classical playing also. I was wondering if anyone out there has played any of the following:

Simandl 30 Etudes
    Storch Hrabe 57 Studies
    Vivaldi Sonata #3 in A Minor
    Marcello Sonata #5 in C Major
    Gardoni Suite in Classical Style

I have minimal experience on bow and am looking for recommendations of what song(s) I should play for my audition (preferably the easiest). I am oblivious to what they sound like and if anyone has recordings to any of these, please let me know. Thanks!
  2. bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Of the two etude books, the Simandl will be the easiest and most approachable.

For the solo pieces, I'm guessing that the Marcello is most approachable. I've never worked on that one but I've taught other Marcello Sonatas to my students as well as the Vivaldi a minor. The Vivaldi can be quite challenging if you have limited bow chops.

As for recordings, none that I'm aware of other than a really great recording of the Vivaldi by Ed Barker. Only catch is that he plays it a sounding pitch or in other words an octave higher.:bassist:
  3. Sumguy7787

Jan 12, 2006
    I picked up that Simandl book and was looking through it. I really like it but I ran into two problems.

When I play for a while the middle of my right hand becomes sore and cramps up on me when I play. I can practice for only about 10 minutes until my hand hurts.

Also, my tone sounds good on all of my strings except for my E string. When I play on my E string I can only get a full sound out of a note 1 out of 2 times. If you could give me some bowing techniques it would be much appreciated.
  4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    About your right hand - what kind of rosin are you using? Use something sticky like Carlsson or Nymans. You won't feel the need to muscle the bow. Only hold the bow enough that you won't drop it. About as tight as you would hold an uncooked egg.

Bow the E string near the finger board with a slow bowspeed. Don't press.
  5. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Be sure to check out the current Intermediate Pieces Wanted DB thread (something like that -- intermediate pieces search should bring up the thread). There's a lot of suggestions there for audtion pieces.
  6. Sumguy7787

Jan 12, 2006
    The rosin maybe my problem. I have two types of rosin. Unviersal violin rosin (came with bass, violin rosin???) and super sensitive light bass rosin (only rosin available at my local music shop). I use the universal rosin. When I bow the E-string, there is a tonnnn of pressure on the bow to get a sound. It probably is my rosin. Would Sam Ash have Carlsson or Nyman rosin?
  7. A bit of Pops will go a long way. Using violin rosin will just make it worse.
  8. bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, sounds like your rosin has issues. Lots of folks like Carlsson and Nyman. I've had the most consistant results from Pops. Check out the various posts about rosin. What I don't like about Carlsson and Nyman is that it seems great for about ten minutes than glosses over and feels like wax paper. The biggest drawback to Pops that I've found is that in dry weather it gets dry and powdery. But I still prefer it.

One more thing about sore bow hands... check to see if thumb is straight or bent outward. I find that bending the thumb helps to relax the hand more. What jallenbass says about holding like an uncooked egg is great advice. I agree 100%. Good Luck.