1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Classical) Solo bass piece for wedding!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Anon2962, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    So, i've been asked to play a bass solo at my friend's wedding, in the church. I'm trying to decide what piece to play - I don't want anything too flashy.. i was thinking maybe bottesini elegy? or kouddevitski 2nd mov...but i dont think wither are ideal.

They get married 14th feb.

:help:

edit: the'll be a pianist there too.

2. Does the pianist actually have to play anything? The Prelude to the first suite would do the trick.

And an Elegy at a wedding? There have got to be rules about that.

3. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    To further what Paul said...an elegy is written in the memory of a dead person. Most brides wouldn't be too happy about that!

4. The Bach "Air" on the G string (or however its referred to) is always nice and a crowd pleaser (if a tad cliche).

5. p.nemeth

p.nemeth Guest

Gliere's Intermezzo, Op.9, No.1 would be a good choice.

6. I agree that Gliere's Intermezzo would be a good choice. Koussevitzky's Valse Miniature could work too. The Intermezzo is a beautiful piece and would be my choice between the two.

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah i realise the irony of playing an elegy at a wedding:D , but no-one would recognise the piece i'm guessing. there's only going to be about 20 people there, what are the chances of another bass player being there?

I'd like to play a piece written for bass. My friend who's getting married is a really talented pianist/composer and said that a modern piece of music is totally ok with him too, as long as i think it's appropriate. But it's such a weird request that i'd really like to play something that is played only on bass.. So that means air on a g string is out, as are movements from the cello suite (although, this is just the kind of music which would be ideal for the situation paul!). I've looked into the fryba (sp?) but it's just not good enough music, i think.

Gliere intermezzo i will definately have a look at, although i've been working a bit on the prelude (in C) and it is SO hard to get it to sound even listenable-to! (Is it just me, or is this piece crazy hard??) That said i haven't looked at the intermezzo yet..

Valse Miniature is a great suggestion, hadn't though of that one, thanks Cory!

Anyone know of sweet, melodic, not-too-flashy modern works for the bass?:eyebrow:

Any more suggestions welcome. :hyper:

8. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I once saw an arrangement of 3 Gymnopedies by Erik Satie for Bass. a beautiful, lyric and fairly easy piece.

9. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I would suggest "Theraps" by Innais Xenakis.

10. Excellent suggestion. One of the guys hear at Peabody got the music for that recently. It looks ridiculous. I still need to hear a recording of it.

11. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Bjorn Ianke has a recording of it on "The Contemporary Double Bass". It's one of those peices that is nearly impossible to perform correctly but if you messed up no one would notice. or care.

On a more serious note The Shostakovich Adagio from "The Limpid Stream" is an awesome slow peice. Eugene Levinson and Daxun both have released recordings. Of course, baroque sonatas are always a safe choice.

12. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    I am terrible at sensing sarcasm, but Theraps at a wedding?

Regardless, the score for the piece is really a lesson in musical notation. I've seen the entire piece's score, but I recall noticing a sample online somewhere.

13. BMason

BMason

Oct 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Maybe some Scriabin -- most of his pieces are pretty melancholy, but he wrote cheery things, too. It's not over the top and it should blend with the occasion fairly well. Give it a look.

The pianist shouldn't have a problem with the accompaniment for obvious reasons.

14. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I know it wasn't originally for bass, but what about Massenet's "Meditation" from Thais? It's a georgeous piece.

15. Rovic

Rovic

Aug 31, 2004
    Mechelen, Belgium
    I played Bottesini's elegie at a wedding this summer. And it really was a succes. I prefer to play it on a wedding rather than on a funeral.. it doesn't sound sad to me..
    But if you would play this, don't call it "elegie", but write "melodie" in the program or something:bag:

meditation is a good choise too, but not if there is a violin playing too;)