1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classin' up my backup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by itchyfingers, Oct 30, 2013.

1. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Sep 17, 2013
    San Diego
    My band played two back to back gigs about a month ago, and while soundchecking for the second gig, I started getting this weird cutout / speaker pop thing happening. I haven't been performing on bass for very long, but after troubleshooting cables, amp, and pedals, I realized the 9V in the preamp had died. So that delayed the gig for about 10 minutes, and I felt like an unprofessional jackass.

I figured having a solid backup without an active preamp would be a worthwhile investment, so I dug this old Squier P/J out of the closet...

dcc9f26d-d7a3-4aff-848d-f52c118dc863_zpsbcbcd07d.

It's certainly not the nicest instrument, and doesn't really inspire me to play due to two big gouges in the neck, right where my thumb rests behind the third and seventh frets. So I figured I'd give this thing an overhaul and make it look like a classy old bass, and feel like something I want to play. New tort PG, new MIM neck with clay dot fretmarkers, basslines pickups, vintage pickup covers, new pots / wiring, flatwounds, and a pinup girl etched in the neck plate. The PG holes didn't all match up, so I used the toothpick and wood glue method. The neck also didn't match up very well. The pocket was plenty wide enough, but not deep enough, so I did a bit of Dremel work and was careful not to get carried away. Anyway, I think it came out pretty good, but now I have the dilema of it demanding more playing time than my #1!

FullBassdone_zpsb801c1d7.

367a99b1-d47e-43e8-a9df-15929f7f9475_zps0ce71ac5.

NeckPlate_zps072ffddf.

Glamourbass_zps14b5e931.

2. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Or even better you could have your tech install a switch to go from active to passive in the blink of an eye and it'll cost you next to nothing.

3. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Sep 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Oh sure NOW you tell me, Fleebag! :D

Could I do that on a bass that has Bartolini's or would I need to add a passive pickup to the active bass?

I'm actually considering switching this one to a master volume, blend, master tone - so maybe adding a preamp at that time would be a good mod...

4. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Should be able to add a bypass switch to any pickups. Only exception I could think of would be EMG which I think have a batt wired straight to the pup. A single push/pull knob on your vol will do the trick.

5. Most of the time the pickups themselves are passive and only the preamp is active. Sometimes (as can be the case with EMGs) the pickups themselves are active. If the former an active/passive switch shouldn't be a big deal, if the latter, no luck.

6. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Sep 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Cool, thanks for the tips, guys! I'll talk to my local tech and see what he can hook me up with.