Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Claypool's rig

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Buck Naked, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Les is pretty much my idol. What I want to know is what strings he uses and the effects that he uses. I know he plays a Fender J and like 6 Carl Thompson basses through Ampeg amps (these days. Back in the day he used Mesa's.). So any input would really help out.

2. the only advice that i could give is turn up your mids, and slap, slap, slap!

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I know at one point he used an ADA G****r Pre Amp, and he uses 2 A strings and 2 D strings.

4. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I thought that was the case with the two A and D strings I just wasn't quite sure. Do you know what brand he uses by any chance? Also what kind of pre amp is it?

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I found this, but I'm not sure how old it is...
    It doesn't list the string type, but I remember seeing him do an add for Carl Thompson strings.

Les' gear
    Basses
    Carl Thompson Rainbow Bass(six string fretless (36' scale))
    Carl Thompson four string (Kahler tremolo)
    Carl Thompson four string (maple body, backup for above)
    Carl Thompson six string fretted (Hamburger Train)
    Zeta Eletric upright
    Kay upright
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Tune fretless six-string( pre-CT six, seen in Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey)

Live amp rig( from Bass Player Jan 93)
    ADA MB-1 bass preamp
    ADA MP-1 guitar preamp (modified by ADA's Todd Langer)
    Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 Plus power amp
    (2) Mesa/Boogie 2x15 cabinets
    Digital Music Midi Ground Control footpedal

Studio Rig(Pork Soda)
    ADA MB-1 bass preamp
    Meyers EQ
    Alesis Micro Limiter
    ADA Stereo Tapped Delay
    Systech Harmonic Energizer

6. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Thanks a lot man. That helps loads.:)

7. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    He also plays Rickenbacker on 5 gallons of diesel-dvd with Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains.

8. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  9. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Ahhh. Ok now can someone explain to me all about a piccolo bass? I would like to know more.

10. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Les Uses Carl Thompson Strings these days (40-100, though I've heard he's using 45-110 these days), and Ampeg SVT 5's (last I saw) with four Ampeg Pro 1x15 cans and two Pro 4x10 cabs (both models no longer made). Not sure about the effects, not my bag o' chips.

The Picolo bass, isn't really a picolo any more. A picolo bass is a bass tuned an octave higher than standard. Les' main bass was built as a picolo with a 32" scale and standard picolo tunning. When Les bought the bass (secondhand) he added a Kahler tremolo and restrung the bass with regular strings and tuned standard. He also put an EMG pickup in it (the same kind found in the old Stienbergers). Currently it has a regular EMG soap-bar, though I don't know the model.

Oh, you get Carl THompson strings from Carl. Go to ctbasses.com and contact Aaron to find out how.

~Paul :)

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Thinking out loud here:
    What the hell is Les doing these days?
    Is he in 'retirement' for now?

I know he won't rest for long...

I say we need more Oysterhead! Let 'em practice for a bit then tour for months.. then Take Their Time recording another studio disc - that first one was so rushed.

12. Primus/Les was in that? When/where?

13. 2 A strings & 2 D strings?!?!!?

Please explain.

14. i would love to see oysterhead get back together...on paper, it was a great band!

15. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Primus is in the studio at the moment, and Les also just wrote a novel. So he's staying active.

16. yeah rumour has it that the new album is called Time 4 Luv

17. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    They were in the battle of the bands.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He tunes the standard EADG style, but his E string is an A tuned down... I could have swore he had two Gs, aka the D string was a G tuned down.. wouldn't make much sense to have your G string a D tuned high.

But anyways, it's all for the benefit of making it easier to chord.

19. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Supposedly he doesn't do that any more. Acordin to Carl he just uses a regular light set (40-100) these days.

Also he was on tour a bit last year with his "Fancy Band" and Gabby Lala.

~Paul :)

20. He supposedly uses the EMG extended series pickups ie the 35TW. PM me iif you want to buy one.