1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clean tube preamp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BunchyMutt, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any of the SansAmp products, be it rackmount or pedal format, will do clean without sounding thin or lifeless and well within your budget.

Riis

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Good tube preamp and <$350 aren't going to happen.

3. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I just got an art DMPA gold which is a tube mic pre. It is two channel and can run at 100 or 300 plate voltage. Still need to test it on bass and some other things but I am digging it so far. Was only 150 used for the old model though the new one is only 220$ or so on eBay.

Might not be what you are looking for but I read on a few sites people claiming it's one of the best sub 500$ tube preamps and it's the only cheaper one I have seen that doesnt just run on a low voltage.

It can definitely be very clean or very gritty depending on how you dial the gain. But it has tons of clean headroom at 300v or you can go to 100v and use the 20db boost for earlier breakup.

It has instrument inputs as well as balanced mic inputs so it should work solid on bass and guitar or mics. And with two channels you can use it for stereo rigs or for two different purposes at once.

bobcruz and Khronic like this.
  5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Curious to see where this goes.

6. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    At that budget you're looking at a pedal. Broughton audio makes the best tube pedals in my estimation - the super stack is excellent

Go up to 400-500 and you can get into some of the really good rack pres mentioned here, like the alembic, if you find them used

7. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    I've got an SVP-CL, I got it for the purpose of which you speak, not a fan of dirt or distortion.
    The Ampeg excels at clean, great tones in it.
    I run it through the front end of a GK700rbii.
    Without the Ampeg, the GK sounds pretty lifeless to be honest.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    EBS Valvedrive

RaggaDruida and HEADbass like this.
  9. Another vote for the BBE BMAX-T

10. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    Absolutely! Love my SVP-CL.

11. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I have and use two green-face SWR Grand Prix pre's. Love 'em. Single tube. I currently run GT ECC83/12AX7 in them, which I am told that the circuit was designed for. However, I have run JJ ECC803S gold pins (have a new pair staged for install) with excellent, creamy results. When you can find one for sale, they generally are in your target spend zone. These others...
    GT Studio Tube Bass Preamp*...pre-Grand Prix preamp designed by Steve Rabe based on the front end of the SWR Studio 220...excellent!
    Yamaha PB-1*...not tube, but great tone!
    Trace Elliot V-Type
    Ampeg SVP Classic*-classic tone. Watch/listen for cold solder, or development of cracked solder joints through even high-care handling.
    BBE B-Max T...reviews on this one are pretty awesome
    Eden Navigator...tone forever

...sold as used should be in your target spend. *=I have owned at one time or another. I also have used mic pre's and channel strips.

Khronic and GentProvocateur like this.
  12. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks!

Any tube mic pre's you'd recommend in the same price range?

13. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Out of your range, I know, but cut the craft beer, coffee or wool socks habit for a month and you'll make up the difference. This is the best deal I have seen on an HBP-1 with the Jensen upgrade. And it is exactly what you describe.
    For Sale - DEMETER HBP-1 with Jensen Transformer

I have only used the VTBP-201s and the newer M-800D, but they take pedals good as anything else I have used long-term (Walkabout, ABM500). I would assume the same goes for the HBP-1, but with it you get more e.q. flexibility.

14. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Lots of choices, depending on what you mean by clean. A micro heads snag a larger share of the market, rack mounted preamps can be had for less.

Although dated, this site gives some interesting contrast samples: basstasters.com || welcome

GentProvocateur likes this.
  15. Your request is the perfect description of an Oxymoron.

If you want clean, you don't want tube.
    Cleanliness is not what tubes are meant to do.

Good luck either way.
    Dirk

kcolyar and mvolfoni like this.
  16. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    i was just going to suggest looking at mic pres.
    You can hang out in the recording forums and ask.
    Used, you might find something that will fit your requirements.
    Quite a rabbit hole, so stay on task.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    BasturdBlaster likes this.
  17. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I have a Fender TBP-1 Pre-amp. Running it in a rack with an older Carvin amp. Great sounding rig. I mostly use a TH500 amp, but there is no comparison between the two. The Fender slays the TH any day. The fender has a lot of features, but I pretty much just use the "vintage" channel and keep things really simple.

If you listen on good speakers, this is a pretty good way to get an idea about what a pre might sound like, especially vs a different pre. basstasters.com || welcome

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  18. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    100% disagree with you. The rig I just posted above has MASSIVE clean headroom. Tubes do not automatically = dirt. There's a little bit more to it than that.

Iristone, mussa, Bigbri and 6 others like this.
  19. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    IMG_1136.gif

20. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I love my old ART tube channel #259 as a "clean" tone generator...... QSCGX5.JPG

bobcruz and Khronic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021