1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clean tube preamp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BunchyMutt, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Just plain old richness and warmth and fatness out of my Alembic F-1x. I've had it for 18 years now, and despite its lack of bells and whistles compared to a lot of the other stuff on the market, that's not what I use it for. It pairs really well with a secondary EQ, which adds a lot more flexibility on top of the built-in tone stack.

Lonnybass

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey I love Monique and the preamp too. :)
    The Summit TD-100 is your ticket. It's in your price choice. You can use it for other instruments if recording. It's a powerful DI. It fits I a padded tambourine bag.:) It is heavy duty!
    It has that resistance knob that with a passive bass makes it like you brought 3-5 different basses to a session.
    The sample on Basstasters sold me. It is completely clean yet has this harmonic richness you can hear at the last notes decay.
    Eric and the folks at Summit are great people. They make very hi end studio gear. The TD-100 shouldn't cost as little as it does. Don't tell Eric!!

GentProvocateur likes this.
  3. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I imagine it DOES depend on what I mean by clean. I imagine you're thinking of "perfect reproduction, with no slight distortion or harmonic boosting of any kind". In that case, sure, tube and clean are oxymoronic.

On the other hand, plenty hi-fi sound systems use tubes, and this thread sure has gotten lots of responses. Perhaps I should revise my op to read something like "I like what tubes bring, but I'm not lpoking for dirt or hair. Just clean as tube signal processing goes"

4. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I was on the same hunt and found what I was looking for in the EBS Multicomp (Tube Sim). It was nice to kill two birds with one stone!

5. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Where do you put it in your chain?

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The Demeter HBP-1 is a very clean preamp. I've owned an Alembic F1-X, and it was awesome, but I sold it after I bought a Read Purity tube preamp, which also is very clean, yet it offers added eq ability. Jack Read only made a small number of them, but from time to time, one will pop up for sale on the TB Classifieds.

The Read Purity is the "tubey-est" bass preamp I've played through.

7. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Another rout that players a few years back used with a power amp was a Tube Microphone pre-amp. They have no tone controls but make a dandi DI and some are pretty reasonable. I have no 1st hand experience with any of them so I can't make any specific recommendations but, maybe someone else could add to this.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yeah. There is that. But at least with a Monique you actually do get what you paid for. Truly lovely preamp. And it's not like you'll be buying several of them. ;)

9. There a number of rack pre's for sale in the Classified Ads here on TB.

10. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    At the end, only before my chorus (see my profile for full chain).

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Uhhhhhhhhh, I, uhhh, well what if....., uh that dark stained Bamboo just looked so good and uh........or then someone might need a backup not because it'll fail but say you were playing two different rooms in a hotel at the same time and had to run between and didn't have time to disconnect.......

12. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I'm actually envisioning one in each loop of a Boss ES-8, plus one at the front and another at the end of the chain. All running through a little Crate combo of course :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

chadds likes this.
  13. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I had a Monique for awhile and did the pre-power amp thing. In the end I found my need for super fast response exceeded my love for tube goodness. Plus the hassle and weight of a rack system lost to the simplicity of a single class D amp (Genzler Magellan). And the Magellan has a "tube saturation mode" (emulated obviously) that sound fantastic.
    So, not exactly answering your question, but I will offer this: there are so many amps and pedals these days with good tube emulation, that is something to consider also....

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Good point. I should have said I was only speaking for myself there...

I'm sure (if I had the resources) I could readily justify owning more than one. Purely for backup purposes you understand. ;):laugh::thumbsup:

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  15. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Not true at all; "tube" is not synonymous with "dirty", it depends entirely on the topology of the design.

16. mvolfoni

mvolfoni

Mar 8, 2017
    Reims (France)
    Ampeg SVT-IIP !

17. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, tons of options. There are a number of preamps on the classifieds right now. Any opinions on what to snag? I play 6 string bass exclusively, with some chords. Switching between a lot of distortion, no fuzz and clear reverb.

- SVP-CL, newer, higher output version: $425
    - Demeter VTBP-201: $400
    - Peavey Max Preamp: $110 + shipping
    - JohnK Blue Tube: $110 shipped
    - Summit Audio TD-100: $220

Many thanks again for all the responses and shared experiences

MDBass likes this.
  18. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    For the longest time my rig was a Presonus Studio Channel into a QSC PLX1602. Clean and fat tone for days.

+1 for using a microphone preamp or channel strip.

19. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    There's a Demeter VTB-201 (his original 1.5 space rackable pre) for sale here on TB for $400. Pure clean tube tone. Jensen DI. Get this and call it a day. Or get the Summit TD-100 if you don't need the EQ.

Turock and bassbooty like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021