1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaner Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BIG CHEETO, May 8, 2010.

1. I would like to know if anyone has any tips on maintaining bass strings clean after playing the bass. Ive seen stuff on the market like Fast Frett, and a a few spray can type deals.

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on cleaning bass strings after use?

2. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    I use Fast Fret for easier playing, especially in sticky humid conditions. Fingers roll over the strings easier. As for cleaning I just wipe them down with a polish cloth.

3. if they are kinda gummed up I use those individual wrapped alcohol pads you can buy in drugstore.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Man, your avatar is freaking me out.

5. I did like using Fast Frett the couple times i tried it. It make playing the bass so much easier if your hands happen to get clammy.

I really like the alcohol wipes idea! I'm definitely going to buy some of those.

Great ideas!

6. HAHA, naice :smug:

7. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I've used fast fret before, but now I use Dunlop string cleaner & conditioner. Works just like the fast fret, but the dunlop is more like a deoderant, and lasts a lot longer. I always have a towel with me when I'm playing!

8. I've always just used a cotton cloth every time I'm finished playing and wipe down the strings fret board and back of the neck...

A while back I started using the Dunlop65 Ultra glide String cleaner and conditioner and it works great you can see all the dirt and grime that comes off on the rag. They feel smother and the strings seem to last at least twice as long as just wiping them down with a clean cloth. I only ues it after every couple of sessions and i just use a cotton cloth in between.

9. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Boil the strings.

10. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
  11. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I used FF a looooong time ago and swore that it made my strings go dull a LOT quicker. Probably in my head. I just wipe my down with a cloth now. My main bass is dressed in flats now too so it's not as big of deal with gunk getting built up.

12. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Boil the strings? It actually works.

13. tomwilliams1983

tomwilliams1983

Apr 6, 2009
    Dont boil the strings, water can cause them to rust.
    Leaving them in methylated spirits/denatured alcohol overnight will clean out all the gunk and leave them good as new.

14. I use to boil, switched to the denatured alcohol bath. Now I just use the Fast Fret stuff. It works well for me.

15. I'm going to get the Ernie ball wipes. Just for the cleaning, then I'm wipping the strings down with a T-shirt. Thanks guys. :cool:

16. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    This works great...I just use the tube not that hooky thingy....fill the tube with denatured alcohol...slide the dirty strings in (I put em in eye first so I can grab with something) let em sit for a bit....(I left a set in for a month one time....) then restring em. On the other hand I heard that James Jamerson had a real funky bass....He liked the sound of dirty strings!!!!
    tjm

http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html

17. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    Boiling does work, but I use soaking in ispropyl alcohol. The rerason I use this instead of ethyl alcohol is that it is cheaper (no excise duty on it) and because it contains almost no water. Ethyl alcohol sold at drugstores tipically contains 5-30% water. It has been reported that the core of some strings is not made of stainless steel and is prone to rusting after boiling.
    Be careful, alcohols are extremely flammable! NEVER heat the stuff. I just leave the strings in alcohol, for several hours, at room temperature away from sources of heat and flame, then wipe them and let them dry for another 2-3 hours. Forks for me.

18. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I have used Fast Fret - twice. Once a long time ago, and the second a couple months ago. That made me remember why I don't use the stuff! I couldn't wait to trash the dead remains of my once wonderful sounding strings.

19. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Glad I'm not the only one with the same experience...

20. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I'm halfway tempted to try the Dunlop stuff, but having to buy a new set of strings for my 6-er would make that an expensive experiment!