Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleaning graphite neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Filip, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Filip

Filip

Feb 13, 2003
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Hi!

Anyone have andy advices how i can clean the graphite neck on my steinberger?

Filip

2. The owners manual says that for fingerboard cleaning use WD-40!

I would follow their instructions!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i use wd-40 on my phenowood board (like joe zon says too), but i use glass cleaner on the neck.

4. Glass cleaner has alcohol in it, wouldn't that hurt the finish?

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :confused:

honestly, i really don't know...it hasn't so far. a reply from joe zon said that the board should be cleaned with wd-40 and the body with windex. i just assumed that he meant the neck too...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I clean the phenowood board on my neck with WD40, and use Windex for the neck and body, just like Neptoon.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I use an orange oil to clean my fingerboard and neck on my Zon, stuff called Lizard Spit Fretboard Oil made by a local Orlando cat. He also makes a polish by the same name (well...Lizard Spit Guitar Polish! ;)), both work GREAT, and when you've used his polish, it's practically impossible to smudge the finish for quite a while.

However, I would recommend most folks follow Joe Zon's recommendation, as he knows what the hell he's talkin' about! :)

Treena, where you find them cool smileys??? The fart guys are pretty funny! :D

8. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    From the Status Graphite website:

The dry look on the fingerboard is where the laminated phenolic material is actually 'drying' out a little. It is often caused by being cleaned with a water or solvent based polish which can take the natural 'oils' out of the board.
    You can fix this very easily by cleaning the fingerboard with a very small amount of oil. Something as simple as WD40 is fine.
    Use a soft cotton cloth and wipe a VERY small amount of oil on the fingerboard and rub it in.... then clean it all off again leaving just a trace which has 'soaked' into the surface. This will bring back the dark colour of the board.

'Non waxy' types of furniture polish are fine for the gloss lacquer on the body or the lacquer on the BACK of the neck but not for the fingerboard.

9. Yes, alcohol will dry the neck out, so us the WD40 as the owners manual says! I thought so!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would be more appropriate in the setup forum, so i'll move it there.

11. Filip

Filip

Feb 13, 2003
    Sweden, Uppsala
    But is the fingerbord on steinberger xa2a made of phenowood ????

Does somebody know?

/Filip