1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning Up '76 Jazz Bass Pickup Cavity

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CinneaghBass, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I had to have the bridge pickup on my '76 Jazz Bass rewound. Before reinstalling it, I want to clean out the foam that has turned to goo in the pickup cavity. The original pickup foam retained its shape, but the foam connected to the grounding plate is oozing throughout the cavity. Has anyone found a good way to remove that stuff? I've been using a screwdriver and tweezers and taking my time.

Thanks!!

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Goo Gone?

3. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    On my 78 p the foam turned into a black dust that I removed with a wood stick, a small painter’s brush and a portable vacuum cleaner.

3128690431_36a3b0157f.

Some part of the dust remains on the pickup (that I replaced) but the cavity got very clean.

4. Yeah, dust would be a lot better than gooey foam. I think I might remove the grounding plate so I can really get to it and clean it up.

Thanks again.