Cleveland New Standard-Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by phippsyg, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Interesting to note: My house was built in 1915. In 192_ , it got indoor plumbing. The toilet, with an "American Standard" logo on it, has the manufacture date molded into it;- October 1922. The name "American Standard" was obviously used very early on in the toilet business.

2. Which raises the question - which stands up to more abuse, the bass or the toilet? :)

Thanks for this info folks - I'm going to be stepping up from my Engle soon, and was planning on a Cleveland, but questions had started to creep in for the same reasons expressed in the original post. I think I'll just stay the course.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Judging from the damage I do in the bathroom I'm thinkin the toilet.

4. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Yes it is a lot of money for a plywood. Arnold a Wil seem to follow the maxim, "Always charge top dollar, always give 'em their monies worth." My Cleveland laminate is worth every penny.

What others have said +1. Very even sound up and down the neck.

I have had opportunity to do extended A-B with a friends Shen hybrid, very well set up, and my teachers fully carved flatback. All three had the same type strings.
    The flatback had nicer arco sound, equal volume, but pizz the Cleveland was superior, tone and volume; and the NS both pizz and arco sounded louder and better tone to me than the Shen.

5. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Thanks for the response guys, this is getting me excited to play the bass again. :)

6. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I knew this conversation would wind up in the toilet ;)

7. It's all about the bottom.

8. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Is it true that the Rockabilly players spin their basses in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere than in the northern hemisphere?

9. Yes, but only when viewed in a mirror.

Johnny

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It's the same direction the water drains down the toilet.

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This thread had some real potential for a while.

BTW - I went with a friend to Kolstein's today for him to try out a bass for Jazz playing. The Hybrid he's putting out which is made in Eastern Europe and is fully set up in his shop is just a well made, great playing and sounding instrument. Certainly worth a look!

Pete

12. I think we have me to thank for the downward spiral. Sorry folks, please continue discussing the merits of the Cleveland. She's a nice bass. And by the way, thru an amp (with the fishman fc anyway) she's as consistent and even as she is acoustic.

13. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    That was the idea.

14. How'd you make out at the jury? What'd ya play?

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The jury went well.

I played my transcription of Paulie Danielsson's solo on "Country" off of Keith Jarrett's 'My Song" album. That went well. Rob (Amster) mentioned that Paulie was a great guy for me to transcribe and study as he has really great phrasing. In my now 5 completed semesters at CCPA, i've transcribed Ray Brown for 3, Charlie Haden for 1, and then now Paulie Danielsson for 1. I feel like i learned a lot from this tune. I plan on continue to study this specific transcription for awhile as i really want to get as much of the phrasing/feel out of it that i can. Right now-i feel like i'm playing a bit too robotic with it and not letting it sing like it should due to needing to further fine tune some technical hurdles.

I only had to play 1 tune-so i played Honey Suckle Rose-went well. No scale test for this semester.

General comments that i received: ''you've got a real great sound', 'keep working on the phrasing-you're close, but i know you can have it closer', 'man, you've come a long way since your first semester here'.

I think the whole thing took maybe 10mins including passing out copies of the transcription, cuing up the CD, and doing a quick sound check.

I had a lot of people in on my jury: Roger Harris, Scott Mason, Paul Wertico, Neil Onderdonk, Rob Amster, Henry Johnson, John McLean, and then this other guy that i didn't recognize/hear his name. When i walked in the room i said "holy ______, it's almost every jazz teacher i've ever had." Normally, there's 3-4 people in for juries.

I get excited whenever i see most of those guys in on my juries/forums because i love the comments they have for me. So it almost makes it easier because i know even if i bomb on certain parts, they'll acknowledge that but then give me valuable info about how i can get the desired results.

More bass related stuff: Something that i dig about my Cleveland is how it sounds in a room with hardwood floors. It's like the bass sounds like it is connected to the very vibe of the place and it sounds amazing.

Part of our combo program last year-we got to record at the Chicago Recording Company. I was on the tail end of having the flu. They took a DI out of my pickup [realist] and then mic'd my bass. When i heard the sound in my headphones i said "are you guys doing anything to my bass or do i really sound like that?" to which they responded "that's straight from the mic-we haven't even turned up your DI yet" to which i said simply "sweet" and started to grin. I think i've mentioned in many threads, but the sound of my bass w/a nice mic in front of it is the closest thing i've ever heard to what the tone is in my head. Now the playing that comes out.....well-i'm still working on that part.

The better i get, the more the cleveland responds and produces the sounds that i want to hear. It's a great feeling knowing that i still have a lot of growing into to do with regards to the sound of my bass. If it sounds this good now, and i'm no where near as good as i want to be, i'm stoked to hear it when i'm actually more technically proficient at it.

16. I have had the same experience with mine.

17. Curious: do you guys take the rubber tip off the endpin on wood floors, and let the spike dig in? Haven't tried that yet but I will tonite -- going to play at an old farmhouse (late 1700s) with original wood floors. Owner won't mind as they're pretty dinged up already!

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've just left the rubber tip on.

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I dig in where ever possible. Carpet, wood, anyplace that I can without ruining something with the spike. Keeps me from moving around. The rubber guy can slide around on wood floor or some rugs. I prefer it without the rubber if I can get away with it.

...among other things.

20. Nice one, Toad. :) I feel the same way. But that's what got you in your pooey predicament!

Man, the bass is better every time I play. Mighta been the wood floor helping out, idunno. But I was in a room with 5 guitars, mando, fiddle, banjo, washboard and dobro and I was able to use ridiculous dynamics and not once was I drowned out. Lovin it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021