Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clevinger EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by C.Veltman, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Hello Bassfriends !
    I have been longing for a MIDI system
    that works for years...but as many of you likely already know, all excisting systems have the typical delay wich
    means you have to convert your playing...
    And on top the typical glitch...

Yesterday I visited Clevingers site and they
    claimed theire system/pick up has NO delay !
    Have you tried it ? Any experience ?

Kind regards
    CV
    http://www.clevinger.com/options.htm

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I'm still shopping around for a compact EUB that has a full scale. Of course, sound is a key issue -- and I wonder if anyone plays one of the newer Clevinger models with the "acoustic" sound board and updated pickup options. The folks at Clevinger claim it sounds very natural...

If so, are these bad boys compact enough to stow in an overhead compartment? Does the end pin/stand fit neatly in the gig bag too?

I owned and played on a BSX Allegro for a few years. Beautiful axe, really dug it -- however it just wasn't much more portable than my regular DB. In reality, I had to bring more crap with my EUB! In addition to the bass in its gig bag, the display/storage stand was a big heavy modified cymbal tripod stand. At least you can lay a real DB on its side and walk away from it knowing it won't get knocked over!

This was the original intention: to get a great sounding and playing (and somewhat "traditional" looking) EUB that I could travel with yet not feel too burdened with during transport. I don't want to mess around with hard travel cases, detachable necks, etc. I need to be very mobile when dealing with airports, security, car rental, etc. I'm currently turning down decent gig offers in other areas because I can't be where I need to be -- and fast.

Anyone playing any great sounding compact EUBs? Does anyone travel and perform professionally with one???

3. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I have a Clevinger made in 1983, and I can tell you that even with that vintage technology, my Clevinger EUB sounds pretty close to an acoustic upright bass.

I would imagine later models only sound better or closer to an amplified upright.

New ones are kind of pricey though, but if you call Clevinger direct, ask for Jennifer.

She is always very helpful and very informative.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I have one from that period as well. At that time Martin was experimenting with what he called the Diamond Sonance. Esentially it was a set of three piezos embeded in a piece of spruce with the "bridge" mounted on top.
    It did have a more acoustic sound, but it didn't really sound
    like a Double Bass. I guess I'd have to say "close but no cigar"
    Martin has so many different designs these days it's hard to
    say what one particular design sounds like, hopefully someone else has played one and will chime in.
    Changing strings was always a challenge, because you have to cut the strings to shorten them so they will fit the bass. Not an ideal situation in my way of thinking.

Ric

5. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    There is currently a mid-80's keyhole shaped Clevinger solid body with piezo and magnetic pick-ups for sale on bassgear.com for asking price of $2000 in case you are interested.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Yeah I saw it. I'm seriously wondering if it's the one I had stolen out of my van in Louisvile in '92....the description is identical.

It sounded great - I used it on several tours & records.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm checking on that for you now Bob.

Cheers,
    BrianD

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Even if it was I imagine it would have changed hands several times before you got it, Brian - honestly no implications or hard feelings there. And they made several, so the probability is small. I always keep an eye open, though, because besides that bass we also lost a primo '72 4001, a '73 P bass, a '56 strat, + a lot of other stuff. It was a very, very bad day.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I remember seeing Wasserman play one those diamond arrangements on Lou Reed's New York tour. Sounded very nice through a big system - he's a fine player too.

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Just for general information here - Brian has verified the chain of ownership on this bass and it is NOT mine. I hope someone gets it because it's a terrific instrument. :cool:

My thanks to Brian for going the extra mile...he's a great cat. :D

11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Bob. :) I finally registered as a supporting member and the Clevinger is now posted here with a new (much) lower price.

12. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
  13. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    So I got this bass, and it is as pictured in the photos, and after a lengthy conversation with Martin Cleveniger, determined not to be a Clevinger or "ClevEnger" bass at all, but a copy.

He said that maybe some of his blueprints were used, but it was definitaly not of his manufacture, nor were the parts used authentic.

I was quoted by him the price of 3200 to bring it up to spec, which is the price of a new model.

Caveat emptor aside, I feel that this instrument was misrepresented in the ad.

I will be taking it to a luthier locally for set up. Fortunately I live very near Dean Guitars headquarters,and am hoping I can get the electronics loaded from one of their Pace models.

Hoping I can make this a good practice and gig warrior.

14. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Steve,
    That bass was definitely misrepresented in the ad. Seems to me you should have some recourse against the seller or eBay for that. And I know Martin and he would deftinitely know if it was one of his instruments. IMHO, eBay has turned into a seller's forum for knock-offd, fakes and misrepresentations of real products.

15. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    Yeah, I took a chance and got burned. On the other hand, I just got back from the local guitar shop, and the luthier has some interesting ideas for a piezo/magnetic pickup system. A few more bucks into this (which I expected to spend), and I should have a reliable , but not authentic instrument. Frankenbass will live!

16. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Did you take the time to leave a negative comment for that seller? I don't know how much good those comments do, but I certainly hesitate when I see a seller with less than a 100% rating.

~John

17. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    I contacted the seller, and advised him I was wise to the misrepresentation, and am withholding any feedback until I hear back from him.
    If I don't hear back in a reasonable period, the negative feedback is about my only recourse.

18. I don't think anyone ever "wins" any:rolleyes: thing on ebay.

19. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    eBay is really the only winner on eBay.

20. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    Actually, I gotten some great stuff that I flipped for a tidy profit. Then there's this deal. I also have been able to find things not available locally. My e-experiences have been 98% positive.

I am working on turning this lemon into lemonade, and hopefully I will fulfill my objective of having aan EUB that canbe used for practices and small stage gigs.

If I can have a playable, bowable EUB w/ case for 1200-1400 that I don't have to mollycoddle, I will be happy.