Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliche' bandrant thread! ARRRRRG

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Sep 7, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sorry but I have to vent before I quit my band. How many other members are in a situation that no matter what is said or done you still have friction with that "one" bandmember? Well I have an issue constantly with one of my bandmembers and everyone else from time to time does as well, and even a lot of people outside the band has issues with him at times, in fact most of the time. But man we write some good stuff and we have been friends for 25 years so I don't just want to leave but I have this urge to just pack up my gear and split! Man I can't take it! I would feel so much better if I quit and formed a new project but at the same time we really have some good chemestry when we are not arguing when we play and write. ARRRRGGGG, it's like a bad marrage and you don't want to separate because of the kids, in this case because of the tunes! What the heck do you guys do so you don't kill a bandmate?

2. In my band we go ahead and kill them then we replace them :)

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Hmmmmm, I wonder how thick that concrete floor is under the drumset in the basement.. :eyebrow:

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you just have a problem with one person in the band, I'd say it'd seem most logical to replace that one member, keeping the rest, and see if you can't be the same anyway. You could always do it behind his back (the immature and prolly less friendly way) and tell him after wards, or tell him you wanna try someone else in his place, and cross your fingers that he understands. Or maybe before all that just approach him and say hey, clean up your act or you could be looking for a new gig.
    I dunno, maybe mix all three and see what the result is. IMHO, I'd much rather be starting a new band rather than playing in one that I'm not happy with...
    Ray

5. Start jamming with other people

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. See how it feels. It might guide you to your answer.

7. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    +2.

I did this with a group that was having some similar issues. After playing around with other musicians and bands on the side and not feeling it and/or finding the right groove, I realized that what I had musically with the original group was worth putting up with the headache.

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    For a long time I've been a one band man. At a certain point, in 2001 I started to breathe some tension in the band I was. So I started playing in another band at the same time (completely different style in this case). Suddenly, the tension was gone and I could enjoy both projects. I promised myself to NEVER play in just one band again and kept it up ok for three years now.

ANDRUCA

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If you get in with other, more agreeable people, some of your bandmates might very well follow if they are having an equally hard time with this offending bandmember. Between whoever you find and whoever follows, you'll probably have the right personnel to start a new project.

10. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I made a promise to my wife that if I get into the drama of band members too much, I would just take a couple weeks off. It works for me. I learn some songs, do some other projects, then come back reenergized with new ideas and a new talk track. Then I can judge for myself if problems exist with a new angle. Sometimes things change for the better, sometimes for the worse but people are people and sometimes they need their space too.