Cliff Bordwell 6 String Dola Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lumnick, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Here is a build thread for my custom 6 string bass being made by Cliff Bordwell. I placed my initial order back in February 2018 and the build just started a few weeks ago. Cliff is definitely a popular guy with a year long wait list, but that is only a testament to the amazing instruments he makes. I also must say, during the planning phase, Cliff was extremely responsive to email and answered any and all questions I had. He's a pretty awesome guy.

Here are the specs for my bass:

Strings: 6 (string through)
    Fretted (24)
    32" scale
    16.5mm string spacing
    Shape: Dola
    Body: Alder
    Top: Ziricote
    Neck: Maple/Wenge
    Fretboard: Pau Ferro
    0 Radius
    Nordstrand DC6 pickups (parallel)
    Nordstrand 3 band preamp
    Hipshot hardware

This is the only picture I have so far, the raw cut ziricote blank. I will be updating the thread as Cliff sends more pictures. Be back soon.

DSCF2575.JPG

2. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    I like CB basses and I did not know Cliff had that much wait.

That Ziricote top looks nice.
    I hope you will have in progress pictures soon ;-)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Congrats on your new build. I strongly suggest considering parallel/single/series switch for each p/u. I have the same pickups on my CB5 with the switches. The single coil mode sounds excellent and mostly used.

emjazz likes this.
  4. Will definitely look into that. For the tone I am going for though (dark, fat, for jazz music), the other options might not be necessary. Having those extra sounds though might be good just to have!

5. We got some beautiful figure in the alder body!

zz36-f1.JPG

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Congrats! I have a Dola 5-string that Cliff delivered to me late 2017, and I have absolutely zero complaints. It was a fun process to be a part of.

lumnick likes this.
  7. I ended up taking your suggestion about the switches. Might as well have as many tonal options as possible right? Thanks!

8. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Good for you! I think you won't regret it.

9. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Nice specs on this build, I love the Dola shape.

I think you made the right choice, but anecdotally, when I had a bass with these same electronics, I never used the series option. I would have preferred having the switches be front coil/both coils/rear coil.

10. nl-bp1.JPG
    Body profile is cut! Love the figuring in the alder wood. It actually matches the figuring in the Ziricote.

TolerancEJ and m2k2p like this.
  11. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Awesome!
    I love Cliff's work, and I LOVE short(er) scale 6 strings too, can't wait to see this little beastie come to life!

Eude

lumnick likes this.
  12. Headstock! So in love with this ziricote piece.

zz36-hhz.JPG

13. Fantastic and subscribed. I love Build threads, especially Cliff Bordwell's work.

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    That Ziricote looks killer!

15. Fretboard! Mine is one in from the right. Pau Ferro, wide and flat!

zz36-fbs.JPG

Arthur U. Poon, TolerancEJ and eude like this.
  16. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    Nicely figured

17. The zirocote is amazing. All the wood looks stunning but that ziricote!!!

18. Full-faced top going on the body. Can't wait to see it cut to shape!

zz36-ffz.JPG

19. Full-faced top cut out.

zz36-fftb.jpg

Arthur U. Poon, eude and TolerancEJ like this.
  20. Cliff has been busy... The anticipation is getting crazy! It looks like all that is left (which is still hard work) is to shape the body, put in electronics and hardware, sand and oil, and string it up. Cliff said that he is aiming to ship out the bass on April 22. This next month is going to crawl by...

zz36pbp (1).JPG

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021