Cliff Burton bass sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andy Fields, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Andy Fields

Andy Fields

Oct 30, 2017
    I have always, in my time of playing bass, wanted to be able to sound like the legendary Cliff Burton. But, I can't seem to get anywhere close to even similar to his sound. Can anyone help me with a cliff burton tone?

2. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Tube screamer with all knobs dimed.

Jonesy9892 and Wfrance3 like this.
  3. Pretty much any of the Green Russian Muff variants such as Way Huge Russian Pickle, Earthbound Audio Supercollider, new EHX Green Russian Reissue, Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian with a humbucker equipped bass ballparks you. He had kind of a Trebly tone and had I think a strat pickup in the bridge of his Rickenbacker for some of the records. Other people on here know way more then I do about his rig/setup though but I'd start with the right fuzz.

Fudgebass likes this.
  4. N-Bass84

N-Bass84

Sep 20, 2015
    Germany
    One of the bass gods! I think is legacy consists more of his playing and composing than on a particular bass model or tone- In my opinion you`ll get the tone with a double humbucker bass. I´ve seen him many times with an Aria Pro II on Youtube/Live Videos. He also used a Rick and an Alembic Spoiler. His soloing tone is really ratty...Big Muff and a Morley Wah. For the amp..I would recommend a Peavy 400.

5. Andy Fields

Andy Fields

Oct 30, 2017
    I will make sure to. Lately I have been using just a normal distortion pedal and some random wah pedal (it's upstream from everything else pretty much so it sounds horrible in most cases and I can't be bothered to rewire my setup) along with a temporary marshall guitar amp (I haven't got it all set up yet) but I have a large pevey amp which is ready to be used, though I don't know what model it is. Anyhow, I will definately take this into consideration.

Side note: Do you know if Logic Pro has some decent pedal presets that would be good for a Cliff Burton tone.

Thanks for the reply :)

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

ae0750-morley_pfw_cliff_burton_power_fuzz_wah_03.jpg

N-Bass84 and idoker like this.
  7. N-Bass84

N-Bass84

Sep 20, 2015
    Germany
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

What is that Metallica song he keeps playing after 01:30?

9. Andy Fields

Andy Fields

Oct 30, 2017
    I believe that it is 'No Remorse' from the album 'Kill 'em all'.
    Great song, that.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Thanks, you're right!
    Tuned into a really old video of Cliff playing it & was all of a sudden struck with sadness.
    Sad that Cliff is gone & sad that Metallica will never be that great again.

11. Andy Fields

Andy Fields

Oct 30, 2017
    We shall join him in the kingdom of salvation, now or later.
    We're coming for you, cliff!

12. EricJMorgan

EricJMorgan

Feb 13, 2018
    Manalapan, NJ
    I'm using a Warwick Streamer bass into Boss Bass Limiter, into the Morley Cliff Burton PWF reissue, into an Analogman modded TS9DX (modded to be a TS-808, like Cliff, SRV, and countless others had) and into my rig, sounds damn close to his soloing tone. Settings photo below.
    I use the TS9DX tone control to tame the highest part of the Morley's sweep a bit.
    When it's really, really loud through (2) 2x12's and (2) 1x15's, that high end is pretty brutal, so cutting it a little bit at the TS warms that up nicely, while retaining the wah's snarl.

Amp settings: bass cranked, mids cranked, treble half way up.
    This seems to translate across pretty much any rig I plug into. Not that I can play like him. ;)
    Also, as over the top as it sounds, he wasn;t using the drive/gain on anything completely max'ed out, which is where I believe the punch comes into play. Plus, late 70's pedals of that nature weren't gained up like similar pedals are today.
    Hope this helps.
    20170927_190121.jpg

13. Fudgebass

Fudgebass

Jun 3, 2019
    Do you have a sound demo? EricJMoro

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022