1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cliff Burton mystery solved

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Russ Pfeifer, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Russ Pfeifer

Russ Pfeifer

Feb 23, 2018
    Hey guys I wanted to start this thread to end all threads about cliff. Far be it from to know everything so if you can prove me different I'll gladly accept it but cliff as far as I can tell NEVER used a power wah fuzz. If he did so far hasn't been documented as fact through photo or concrete truth I.e James hetfield. What I know is being a rabid Metallica fan I did the research spent the money bought and even gave away pedals. And conclusions are definite.

BASS into compressor-bigmuffpi-Morley Power wahBOOST-tube screamer.

Settings do vary from venue to venue but they are not drastic changes and I have moved on to creating my own voice so I don't care to remember exactly the pedal settings however all these pedals are old and simple to operate. Nothing that Morley has will recreate the tel ray sorry to pop your little bubbles but get real. The Tel Ray like the cry baby hold their own crowns. Blah blah will get you close but any real burton enthusiast will resent these attempts. The Mesa will give you the puppets sound only cliff played a variety of good clean amps prior. That's the key good clean amp. The Mesa was state of the art at the time and the tube screamer was added for that reason specifically. So in today's gear all worry should be smashed. Any other variation of pedals will disappoint you if want real cliff tone. That's about it except strong fingers. It takes heavy hand to keep up with cliff. Hope this helps everyone and if you have proof of cliff using power wah fuzz post it please I want pictures not your opinion

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  2. DudeWowTotally

DudeWowTotally

Jun 25, 2017
    In the biography "To Live Is to Die" page 111 John Marshall, Cliffs bass tech in 1984

“John describes some of Cliffs onstage gear 'He used to like getting different sounds: the Power Wah Fuzz was his thing and he had a red compressor that he used on the solo.'"

Ant Illington likes this.
  3. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    No disrespect meant to the op, but seriously, does anyone really care about Cliff Burton anymore? I mean, the dude played decent bass on three albums in the 80's. Nothing groundbreaking. Pretty much note for note copy of the guitar riffs. Would we be talking about this guy if he hadn't been tragically killed? I say probably not.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  4. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I've personally never been drawn to Burton or Metallica, but I know some bassists who look up to Burton sorta like how folks look up to Jaco, especially re: Burton's solos

crapusername, Ant Illington and 2010P like this.
  5. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    I loved Metallica back when they were relevant (83-87) but never saw Burton as anything special. I hear you about those solos.... I personally was never all that blown away by them. I agree people are giving him the Jaco treatment, but man, at least Jaco deserved it (and I am not a fan of his either, but I can recognize his genius). Anyhow, diffrent strokes I guess. Apologies for derailing thread.

6. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Did anybody ever consider the fact that all their gear except the guitars got stolen in January 1984. What if Cliff replaced his stolen PWF with a PWB? That would explain this too.;)

RickenCliff and crapusername like this.
  7. Burton was one of the first bassist I heard using effects within the context of extreme music, especially contributing to music that was new at the time. He was ahead of the curve and had to use guitar pedals for his effects. The note for note copy of the guitar riffs were actually riffs he wrote or contributed to. His speed and dexterity was pushing the bass forward progressively. What really sold me was the non-traditional basslines. For yrs I didn't realize the solo in Orion, not the bass break, was a "bass". "Anesthesia" further proves the point. So much of why Metallica was good was because of him and meh without him. I have moved on and It does get old seeing Burton's tone being chased, effects, etc. I even get bored of Jaco, Victor, or whoever. But, Cliff does inspire new bassists and there's always a younger gen that will discover guys like Burton when they get bored of the norm.

alanolynn likes this.
  8. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Banned

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Not really much truth to what you say.

Would what Cliff Burton did be as ground breaking as it was back then if he had done it today?

Not really, but the same can be said about a lot of the other guys who are still considered bass icons and legends.

At the time he did it though it was unique and innovative and the influence it had on contemporary as well as future bass players can not be denied, which is why it is still relevant.

As already said a lot of the guitar riffs you claim he copied note for note he actually wrote himself, also did some incredible bass solo work at a time where that was kind of unheard within the genre he played.

Would he had been considered a legendary bass player on the same level had he not been killed?

Really hard to say, perhaps not, but really one can only speculate about where he would have been today career and skill wise had he not been killed.

Under all circumstances as I already said, the influence his play have had on other musicians can not be denied.

Just as an example to put things a bit in perspective:

Would Thomas Edison had been considered a genius inventor had he lived today and done the same stuff as he did while he lived?

Most definitely not, I mean I am by no means a genius with electronics, and I could probably make a light bulb if I wanted to.

Was he a genius inventor at the time he did live and invented some groundbreaking stuff that was the foundation of many great future inventions that wouldn't have been invented without his work?

Most definitely!

Which is why he deserves his recognition and is still relevant.

Because of the impact and influence his work had and still have.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    filler83 and crapusername like this.
  9. 4stringmf

4stringmf

Mar 2, 2008
    San Francisco
    Yes, we would. He was a legend before he died. He broke the mold then..... and was worshipped before the accident.

10. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    What?
    Here you go.

I'm too lazy to link part 2 of that video.

11. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Sweeping statements are dumb. Folks tend to learn that in their teenage years :hyper:

Anyways, I'll provide evidence since you can't provide burden of proof to provide your claim.

PS - I'm not a cliff fan, I just hate stupid comments.

mattbass6945 and gunai like this.
  12. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    Something to keep in mind when discussing Burton is that he was dead by 24, in 1986.
    Extrapolate what you will regarding Metallica, effect usage in metal bass, metal bassists or whatever else... just do keep it in mind.

13. I have an amp with a crazy amount of gain for two reasons -

Motörhead

Anesthesia:

no, I don't want a fuzz pedal

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018