Close up of my dingy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jan 13, 2005.

1. My new Dingwall Afterburner that is. I got it last week from Bass Central. What an instrument!! The neck is the slickest I've played and I love the growl it puts out, not to mention the clean, consistent sound in different registers. The low B is nice andclear. The bass also has great sustain and quite a bit of tonal variety. It's true what I've heard - even though it's a passive bass it sounds active.

Oh, and it doesn't look bad either. It looks like it's on fire in this pic.

2. Thats pretty schweet man, I like the color!
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sweet bass.

I was going to post a close up of my "dingy" too, but then JT said it would get me banned.....go figure! :eek:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    if you think that bass is beautiful, you should see it in person!!!

Glad it arrived to you safe & sound, and even happier you're diggin' it.

One day, I'll get one....sigh....
  6. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    What's the string spacing on the 5's anwyays? I've searched and searched, spec not listed on their site either...

And whats with some AB1's having the switch and some apparently not? Later addition?

I'm seriously considering swapping the Cirrus for one :)

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I haven't measured it, but from playing them, I'd say they're 3/4" or 19 mm at the bridge. There is definitely enough room for comfy slapping.

The switch you see is for the BluEQ circuit. On earlier versions of the bass they used a push/pull tone control, newer basses have the switch to engage this feature.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    They are 18mm at the bridge actually. And very nice, looks almost exactly like mine, slightly different flame on the wood is all :)

Can see pics to mine in my sig at the bottom. As time goes on, you'll love it more and more. Eventually you'll be preaching Dingwall like the rest of us here that have them hehehe.
  9. Hey! That's a great looking bass. Welcome to the club.
  10. Right on-
    Welcome to the Dingwall fan Club.
    Just decide now to sell off or at least put away any of your parallel fret basses, they'll sit in the closet lonely and crying
    The 5 strings are 18mm at the bridge (4 strings are 19mm).

--I was actually scared to look at this thread...close up of my dingy...Yikes
    Great looking bass

PS- Does it have FD1 or FD3s?
  11. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Another convert from the straight fret scene. Dingwalls are just so sweet! I love mine!
  12. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just at a quick glance, this looks like an ABI with a one piece neck. I may be mistaken as I cant see the back, but from the neck pocket thats what I see. So Id assume it prolly has FD-1's. Allthough I dont know when exactly Sheldon made the switch to the FD-3's and if it for sure corresponded to switching to 3 piece maple necks on the AB's.
  13. Actually it's a 5 piece neck. I'm also confused about the pickups. Bass Central informed me that the pickups are
    FD-1s, but the brochure that came with the bass say they're FD-3s. Whatever they are, they sound good.
  14. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I see. I knew what the switch did, just didn't know it that circuit existed on earlier models or something. And I noted some listed on.. umm certain sites, for having the circuit but I saw no switch. It all makes sense now.

So they are actually 17, not 19 (didn't think they were, looked a bit small for that) which I think the cirrus is anyways, gues it wouldn't be too odd a change, besides the obvious thing :) I'm 'used to' slappin on the cirrus I guess.

15. They're actually 18mm (5s and 6s). I think I saw this posted higher as well.
  16. Where do you measure spacing at the bridge on a fanned fret instrument?

The shortest distance from the saddle break point nearest the neck to the adjacent string?

The shortest distance from the saddle break point furthest from the neck to where the adjacent string would be if it was longer?

Or the distance from one saddle break point to the next?

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    My choice would the distance from a saddle to the line extending from the next saddle parallel to the instrument centerline, as measured in a direction perpendicular to the instrument centerline. However, since the typical angle between adjacent strings on a Dingwall fan is .57°, and the cosine of .57° is .99995, any method should be close enough.
  18. I suspect if the bass was made w/in the past yr it contains FD3s. As Sheldon had to dig up left over FD1s for me. The FD3s sound different than the FD1s, not better just different. You can hear the FD3 on Dingwalls website (do a search here for Dingwall tone and you'll find the link).

As for measuring spacing distance why wouldn't it be from midpoint of one saddle to the midpoint of the neighboring saddle, not sure why the angling of thw bridge would change that. Its angled in respect to length. did i misunderstand
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    The pickups are all now FD-3's, we need to update our website! :meh:

I don't measure the string width, I just play 'em. I find the Dingwall 5's & 6's to be exceptionally comfy to play. Some 5's & 6's are far too "tight" for me to be truly happy.