1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Alleva-Coppolo (Part 21)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

You guys are killing me! drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

Edgar likes this.
  2. KUETSUM

KUETSUM Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Look at that flower painting pj5..... Man! I want it so bad..

svtb15 likes this.
  3. sorgas

sorgas

Mar 21, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Oooohhhh my gooodnesss!!

svtb15 likes this.
  4. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    That gold YoShorty is perfect for Bill Wyman.
    Me, I love the white/maple KBP4.

basses55 and svtb15 like this.
  5. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    Jimmy is not just a good friend, we’re like family. His instruments have the kind of magic that makes playing bass more meaningful, and fun. This PJ Modified is amazing.
    The Sherwood Green nitro LG was a sleeping giant IMO.

Attached Files:

6. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    He's looking good with the Trevor Bolder mutton chops.

basses55 and rodl2005 like this.
  7. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    How did this AC sound? I can't imagine it sounding as good as an AC with Ash or Alder but it sure looks great!

basses55 likes this.
  8. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    It sounded pretty good, it sounded like a Coppolo.

GHOST AT likes this.
  9. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Exactly. It sounded like an A-C. I must admit it was a pleasant surprise because I had my doubts about a 1-piece buckeye burl body since it’s not exactly known as a tonewood.

GHOST AT likes this.
  10. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    This post (for me) gets to the heart of the Coppolo brand and how exceptional the Jimmy/Professor combo really is. The fundamental tonality of my LG5 CS is so close to the 62 that it’s a bit surreal. The AC is a bit quieter and just slightly more compressed if you are splitting hairs, but it’s a five vs four so that’s fair. The tonal character is more than just “comparable”.
    If that’s not enough, all you would have to do is beat up the LG a bit and it would be an almost perfect match in color, hue, and transitions to the burst sprayed 57 years ago......

Attached Files:

Edgar, mark beem, DELACIUS and 10 others like this.
  11. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Always feel glad I played both and make me know how a good vintage jazz bass and a Coppolo LG5 can sound XD
    Gorgeous pair!

basses55 likes this.
  12. Wow!!!

basses55 likes this.
  13. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    The accuracy of the finish is truly astounding. I kinda always knew but seeing it side by side with the real thing really shows it.

svtb15 and basses55 like this.
  14. ACB0015

ACB0015

Oct 27, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    They are both great basses, I'm sure, but why have a bound neck when you could have a plain one? To me the bound neck with dots make it more '66 than '62. Especially with the lollipop tuning machines.

bassarama likes this.
  15. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Why have a binding and dots Jazz? Cause I thought at the time it would look good? It does. It’s 66 in a five... but with a DN board like a pre 66.

Why not?

ACB0015, SamuelSandoval and Edgar like this.
  16. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    In 2001 or so I walked into NY Guitar and bass Boutique on 9th Ave to visit with Jimmy.
    Guitar Boutique was his retail store for years.
    He had lots of high end basses and many Vintage basses hanging on the wall.
    That day there may have been 4 to 5 Mid 60s Fender basses with their bodies hanging at eye level.
    Some very worn in, and a couple in great condition.
    My eye wandered down the line up of mid 60s Vintage Sunburst finishes. It was beautiful to see.
    The one on the end was pristine and I wondered how anyone could have something that long and not have a ding it .
    It wasn't until I looked upward and noticed it wasn't a Fender headstock. But the older Alleva Headstock.
    His SB finish was identical!!!

I was helping Jimmy at the 2008 NAMM show booth.
    I have a memory on my Video ( im a camera fanatic) of Fender custom shop folks walking past Jimmy's booth commenting how nice his 60s finishes were and commented They wished they would do something like that.

17. 20190209_221619.
    The (rear of) my AC EUT5 with Berg B|Amp and HG410 onstage last night, tight stage, pub gig playing original funk n soul

18. sonicyogi

sonicyogi Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    NYC
    Your bass reminds me a little of my bound-neck blue LG5. Just put some Dunlop flats on and loving it for a Philly Soul kind of thing!

Attached Files:

rodl2005 and TolerancEJ like this.
  19. Very nice!
    I've often thought some AC white pup covers would look good on mine.
    It's got GHS BRITE FLATS on now, that've been on for a good 12 months, so there's a good thump there.
    It's got 'prototype 06' on the neck plate and
    I used it again last night at The Wooden Boat Festival main stage
    Supplied backline, and I din't take pics. I think others in the band did. I'll post some later if they're any good.
    Here's one I prepared earlier;)
    20180526_212045.

basses55, Edgar, mark beem and 3 others like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No stand on that beautiful bass???