1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club MBasses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Apr 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ

Very delayed response...

It did indeed belong to Alex - I'm sure he misses it too!

Just came across this thread again - looking to see what's new with M Basses, after having plugged mine in for the first time in a while & remembering how smooth it is...

2. Anybody else sporting one of Jon's MJ or MP basses?

Let's see them!!

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I will have to take a 'family' picture one day.

Until then, I was hoping for some opinions.

My MEJ4 works for 90% of the electric stuff that I do. I have other basses that I could use for 10%....but, I'd rather play this one for everything. It has one pickup now, and I was considering having a bridge pickup installed. I have a super slim Lace Sensor pickup that I taped onto the body to hear what it would sound like with two pickups, and I really liked having a bridge pickup. However, I'm not in love with the Lace's tone. I'd rather have another Seymour Duncan dual coil pickup.

I just don't know if I want to mod this bass because it is great the way it is. Any thoughts?

Here's a pic:

mbass.

4. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    The beauty of this is in its simplicity.

5. Although I dig the simplicity of that bass....
    I'd add another dc in the 70 position. And add some coil taps as well. Talk about versatility. ;-)

I've got a pair of nordstrand dc's with coil taps, and it can cover a bunch of ground.

That being said.... 90% coverage with your swanky mej4 is not near good enough. You should definitely sell it to me, and move on to something that better suites your needs. :)

6. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    You both raise good points...

I don't think that I am going to route the bass. If I can find a thin pickup that sounds good, I may look into ways to mount it. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone.

Not a chance! :spit: :)

I would love to find another 4 string MEJ with 2 pickups and use both, but, alas, they don't seem to pop up very often.

7. oldschoolkyle

oldschoolkyle

May 2, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, TecAmp Cabinets, Dean Markley Strings, EMG Pickups
    I need to post some pics of mine... I am also on his site... been a M Bass endorser for years... Jon is the best in the biz!

8. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I'd love to see pics!!

9. I regrettably have a Mbasses mj5 in the classifieds. Check it if you're interested.

10. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Sorry to hear. I love the specs on that bass....if only it was a 4.

11. Bummer. If I could afford to keep 2 5's, I would. I'd like to get a 70's spec'd 4 going this fall if the cards fall right.

12. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I had the pleasure of visiting Jon at his shop Monday and had a cool time.. Very nice basses... :bassist:

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Love the look of this bass Nicky. Hope you're well man.

14. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Thanks Andy. That is my main electric these days. It really covers alot of ground...I just wish a dual-pickup MEJ would pop up in the classifieds.

15. DJH

DJH Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, DR Strings, Carvin Guitars, Fodera Guitars, Mono Cases
    I don't own an Mbass...yet :bag: However, this bass looks spectacular!!!

Attached Files:

16. jeffbassguy

jeffbassguy "Less is more, unless the guitarist sucks"

Feb 4, 2001
    connecticut
    some pics of my Mbass back from when Jon did customs

Attached Files:

17. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Just met Jon over the weekend at the NE GTG. Turns out I live about 20 minutes from his shop. He had a nice selection of about 6 basses on hand.
    MAN I wish I was in the market for another custom build. As it is, I'm going to meet up with him so he can do setups on a few of my basses so at least I'll have the privilege of saying he worked on a couple of mine.
    Super cool guy- its nice getting to meet some of the makers at these events.
    Between the M Basses and the Revsound cabs....damn!

18. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Jon does a great setup !!! :hyper:

19. jeffbassguy

jeffbassguy "Less is more, unless the guitarist sucks"

Feb 4, 2001
    connecticut
    Jon does all my setups and has bailed me out a few times on some other brands of basses where I tried to be a luthier lol

20. vpermana

vpermana

Nov 17, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Need more posts here, pictures please