1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

club member and number ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by trigger happy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. trigger happy

trigger happy Supporting Member

May 19, 2016
    Idaho
    I have done a search and been bombarded with a lifetimes worth of clubs, checked the Faq's and still no definite answer, so I am forced to ask...

What is the importance of being a club member and being assigned a number? Is there a prize or something for those with the most numbers of club members? Are some clubs more important than others to be a member of, with a number?

No sarcasm here, I honestly don't know. Can somebody help me out please? thanks in advance for the help and whatever humor may follow... :D

twinjet likes this.
  2. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I could sell you a label that you can use to join a club...oh, sorry wrong thread.

No importance at all. Just a way of showing your gear pride. No added benefit. Although the Thunderbird club appears to be some kind of secret society. ;)

hillerup, trigger happy and ak56 like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It really, really sounds like you're disparaging people who are into the clubs and numbers.

trigger happy likes this.
  4. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    The clubs and numbers give you a sense of belonging.

5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Same reason people wear Rush Tee shirts or put Fender stickers on their cars. People are just proud of their likes and affiliations is all....... Unless you are one of the lucky chosen that is awarded a Thunderbird club member. That is a whole different story.

6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Some people like putting club numbers in their sig, others don't.

I am in the latter group but there is plenty of room for both on TB.

7. trigger happy

trigger happy Supporting Member

May 19, 2016
    Idaho
    I promise I am not. I'm just new here and was wondering. I've even signed up for a couple, without knowing any underlying importance. Like maybe if enough points ans such got a discount at the store or something. That was the real question. That being said, I also have seen that there are some very humorous individuals here and it is great entertainment. :)

hillerup and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  8. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Club threads are great sub-communities that form over a particular bass/manufacturer/luthier/amp/etc.

I joined the G&L club a while back and got to learn a few valuable things from other G&L owners. When I was selling an L-2000 I obtained, I threw my for sale ad on there and had the bass sold in 12 hours! So it's great for learning, checking out basses or getting help. No added benefits aside from building rapport, but that's not a bad thing, either!

9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Camaraderie and common interest.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    At the Music Man Sabre Club, we have fun with it. We don't just assign numbers. Starting on page 9, we put a little spin on it. Musicman Sabre Club

So get yourself a Music Man Sabre and come get your number.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    IMG_0879.JPG

(I'm in a few here though...)

:smug:

12. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    :smug::cool:;)

Yea, it's just for fun. Showing off your gear and mixing with others who may have similar stuff/experiences.

hillerup and TheMinutemen like this.