1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Very nice, and worth the wait, I'm sure! Congrats!

Sadowsky and JLY like this.
  2. Hounddog

Hounddog Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    WOW. Nice

3. Kevin McKee

Kevin McKee Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Ah, a sight that sends my wife into pure panic.

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wow! Congrats and enjoy!

Those Deluxe Satins are beautiful!

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Nomogram and kobass like this.
  6. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    NBD! RV5-WL Metro

Grabbed this to pair with my Zon for a new modern country rock gig.

20180712_183433.
    20180712_195959.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  8. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    B38FAC1C-1373-479B-8178-1A09380EEF50. I contemplated the hard case. Very glad I went with the bag.

zbigniew, Sadowsky, Fred312b and 20 others like this.
  9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I love the Portabag. I've got one that I use for all of my basses when transporting to a gig. I also have a hardshell case for each bass for everyday storage.

Sadowsky, kevk and JLY like this.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I use the Portabag exclusively with my Sadowskys. I should say that don't fly with my instruments, but for all other purposes I feel as confident with the Portabag as I would with a hard case. The Portabag is rugged and beautifully padded. It's unfair to call it a "gig bag": it really is a case. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about denting the wall when I'm careless. :D

11. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm just loving my new Satin 5! It's such a pleasure to play. So here's a few observations..

Compared to my older Metro with the Nordy SC's, these newer Duncans are slightly less raw and more refined. To my ears they are a little more compressed maybe? Less heavy bottom, and less harsh top end. Similar, but a slightly different flavor. Right up my alley, that's for sure! IMO it's more of what I would call the "Sadowsky" tone.

The neck... drool

I wasn't prepared for the neck. I remember a quote from Roger saying the Metro neck shape was slightly different. I would hate to use the "F" word in a Sadowsky thread (so I wont, lol) but to me the NYC neck feels like a custom shop "F" neck - but with a personal touch that has been developed over time to the response of a player, not the mighty dollar. It just feels like an extension of me. Effortless playability in spades.

What else can I say that hasn't been said by others? Great basses, great service. One happy camper!

12. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Gotta ask, are you saying that you wouldn't feel comfortable flying with an instrument in a Sadowsky Portabag? I ask because there's a chance I'll have my new Sadowsky in time for some fly dates and I'm trying to decide on the best option for those show:

1. New Sadowsky in the Portabag with early boarding to get an overhead bin.
    2. Buy a cheaper bass and keep it in my SKB plastic "flight case" with TSA latches, and not sweat too much if I'm forced to gate check the bass.
    3. Use my Mike Lull which I had a custom ATA flight case made for, and this could just be checked.

What do you think, @Fuzzbass? Could the Portabag be a good candidate for carry-on and would it protect a bass if I were forced to gate-check it?

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm sorry, I don't fly often so I'm not airline-savvy. Hopefully others will chime in!

Oh... I would have no problem storing the Portabag in overhead, but I can't comment on gate check.

TheBear likes this.
  14. I’ve flown with my bass multiple times (NY to Tokyo) in a Sadowsky Portabag. Never had a problem. Of course I had to check it in with the luggage. They always said it was too big to carry on. Checking it in is better than gate checking it IMO.

Fred312b, TheBear and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It always depends on who is checking you in and if they're having a good or a bad day. If the money is there check a bass with the custom flight case. Otherwise smile, complement the people checking you in when you check in and hope for the best. Chances are the flight will be packed (they all are these days) or even over booked, and they'll get cranky and make you gate check your bass. These days I take a bolt on bass, unbolt the neck, leave the body in my Mooradian gig back and make it look like a backpack by folding over the neck section, and then I wrap the neck in scarves and carry it on. Pain in the butt, but works every time.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh man..I LOVE TOKYO!!!!

17. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Basically I fly with my Sadowsky NYC basses with Portabag all the time, no matter check it or bring it on board (depends).. Zero problem after 60+ flights (International/Domestic Flights) or so..Highly recommended :)

18. All airlines are different and changeable I guess. I've done long-hauls between UK and Australia a bit recently and always unbolt the necks. I wrap body and neck in tee shirts then bubble-wrap. The body goes in the middle of the suitcase buried in clothes while I take the neck into the cabin with me. I allow staff to see the neck by leaving the ends easily accessible. They told me the alternative was to use UPS or buy another seat.
    PS I have 2 Portabags and would trust them more than a hard case or anything apart from a proper flight case. They're firm but flexible and sooo well-made. The best.

JLY, kobass, TheBear and 2 others like this.
  19. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Echo to @emjazz and @number six , extra packing is always good, but for me, I just put the bass inside the portabag and that's it.. :p

TheBear likes this.
  20. Yup, I’m a bass playing, native New Yorker living in Japan.

kobass and emjazz like this.