Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Roasted alder would be quite a dark wood to start with. Not best for a light finish like Bora blue. But would makre a cool black burst, somewhat like TimGroovt’s single cut a few pages back. Or a tobacco burst. Just something to think about.

not a Sadowsky, and a neck, not a body, but this is similar to the color I would envision with roasted alder.

9C249528-E833-48E7-8FE6-A56FEF808787.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    lgrankin, GregC, kobass and 3 others like this.
  2. That’s a good point. That’s why I ask you guys. You always think of everything. Just glad I’m not going to have a pick guard, so we don’t have to have that debate again! Lol

3. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    I wouldn’t discount the ash/ebony option...all depends on how much “edge/smoothness” you’re going for?

I have a roasted ash/ebony/roasted (unfigured) neck...plus a non-roasted ash/ebony/roasted (unfigured) neck build in the works.

The roasted neck is a “go for it/no-brainer” for me, but talking with Ellis regarding my current build objectives, the roasted vs non-roasted body makes a noticeable difference in smoothness...we went with the non-roasted ash.

I can confirm that, as I’ve had other non-roasted ash body Sad basses that were slightly less smooth than my roasted version. “Splitting hairs” here—they all sound good, but something to consider...:)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    mmbass21, KenMoore05 and Fuzzbass like this.
  4. Roasted neck is 100% a must have for me. As well as the ebony board. I’m not tied to the roasted body, just thought I would consider it. But you’re right, it’s probably splitting hairs and will probably just come down to personal preference. And it’s cheaper to not roast the body, so that will play into my decision too.

kevk likes this.
  5. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It all depends... if you have a roasted alder top, some might think it's a little dark for some blue/green transparent finishes. However, if you have a maple or other lighter top on a roasted alder body, it doesn't matter.

If you want a roasted alder body for tonal reasons, you can figure out a finish that works or get a figured top.

Here are a few roasted alder body examples with a figured top (links right below and front/back photos from each listing below that):

https://www.sadowsky.com/product/8669-peacock-burst-will-lee-4-22-standard/
    https://www.sadowsky.com/product/8476-peacock-blue-burst-5-21-standard/
    https://www.sadowsky.com/product/8620-tiger-eye-burst-4-24-modern-unlined-fretless/

8669_new_3-copy-1200x340.jpg
    8669_new_4-1200x340.jpg

8476_3-1200x342.jpg
    8476_4-1200x343.jpg
    8620_9-1200x342.jpg
    8620_6.jpg

kevk, HeavyJazz, BassmusM6674 and 9 others like this.
  6. Th
    Thanks! I’ve been scouring the website looking for examples.

7. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    If you just search for “roasted alder” in the search bar you’ll get some hits.

Fred312b and KenMoore05 like this.
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

aFbY313.jpg

9. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    20210512_084248.jpg Backatcha!

10. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Southern California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Annnnnddd…

A890DB6B-65DD-4565-BA4A-CD91DF87314D.jpeg

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Bwawaahaha!

BluesyCat likes this.
  12. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Meow:
    61393E67-2662-441C-88A3-6659F06C48EA.jpeg

13. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars, LaBella Strings, Bergantino Audio Systems
    403_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=MiQNrR8DVBEAX-R9p1t&_nc_ht=scontent.fhkg3-2.jpg

14. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

BluesyCat, Spidey2112 and R&B like this.
  15. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    B8423D47-EF9C-4E92-9CFC-F69AC43BCA2C.jpeg

16. IMG_1862.jpg

bucephylus, lgrankin, Lex P. and 14 others like this.
  17. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm having a head scratching moment here guys... maybe someone can figure out what happened.

Scene: Doing line check to play a warehouse party earlier today - a few minutes before we start an electrical interference/screaming/static sound is coming from my rig and I can't get it to stop. Not LOUD, but audible enough for the band to hear. Had the Soundman turn off his wireless mic just in case, no luck. Switched the rig different outlets, no luck. Bypassed pedalboard, no luck. Checked all cables, no luck.

Put the Verdine into passive - screaming noise gone. Obviously I assume it was the battery and just went on with the gig in passive. The next band seems to start without a hitch and have no electrical problems. I just got home and the battery is at 9.05V, the preamp sounds fine. No noise, interference or anything here at home. No one else in my band had power or electrical issues on stage.

So what happened? What made my preamp unhappy at the gig? I'm stumped here.

davidak likes this.
  18. I had this experience when I was using my Boss WL wireless with Sadowsky bass. Boss interface was easily too close to battery inside of the bass. In passive it was ok.

19. Bassdudeman

Bassdudeman

May 12, 2014
    I had a similar problem and could not figure it out, then I noticed I laid my cell phone on the pedal board next to the direct box...moved it and it was clean. Also, make sure you don't have your cell phone in your pocket near your wireless transmitter...FWIW

kobass likes this.
  20. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Ok, thanks guys. The only wireless anywhere near us was the wireless mic the soundguy was using. We were on a roof of a garage on the property, he was below us. There was a drone filming the event too, but that's it as far as I know.

I guess it's possible his mic was the issue. He did turn the mic off (but not the receiver) and we still had the noise. This hasn't happened before - I don't use wireless and neither do the guys.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021