1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    @bhoff5150 Welcome to the Sandberg Club! Your number is #150 :)

bhoff5150 likes this.
  2. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    New pickguard on my TM4 Custom :)
    Not a total blackie anymore

Attached Files:

BrentSimons, GregC, kasbrey and 3 others like this.
  3. woodywyatt

woodywyatt

Jan 12, 2015
    I really like this combo on the black aged TM4 models, I've done the opposite with my sunburst and replaced the red pickguard for an aged black one. 20190602_124201.

4. Vlad Tepes

Vlad Tepes

Sep 3, 2018

Attached Files:

5. thawkeyes

thawkeyes

Mar 20, 2009
  6. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Jughead6 likes this.
  7. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    I can't say that I like that color too much...sorry

Cuzzie likes this.
  8. Any 48 is eye-catching. That Lamborghini Yellow 48 takes it to the next level. "LOOK AT ME". I wish I had the talent to play that bass to the level the audience will expect. Rock that thing @Vlad Tepes !

GregC and TB24 like this.
  9. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    First off folks, I'd like a number. What a beauty. Thank you I am Soma for passing this along.
    new sandberg.

Secondly, I'd like to ask a question about the Delano's with the Glock pre.
    I truly love the feel of this bass. I bought without ever playing a Sandberg before based off of the looks, comments here and elsewhere (God forbid), and a desire to put a 4 string, jazz style back in the fold after many, many years without one. I also liked what I heard on Youtube recordings, even though they can be a bit difficult to depend on
    So on to the question: I find this pu/pre combination to be SUPER bright. The treble is over the top sizzling. Also quite noisy when turned up past the mid point. That's something I didn't really expect. Could the noise be a grounding issue with the coated strings? I also find the bass in passive mode is still super bright.
    I bought a new set of Black Beauties and strung it up the second day I had it, as these are my go-to strings. Man! I've never heard them that bright. I'd be afraid to put on an uncoated stainless string as I think it might blow out a tweeter.
    Has anyone else found this to be the case with this combo? And if so, how did you combat it? New strings? Flats (I do love cobalt flats, but was not intending to go that route with this bass)? New pre?
    For reference, my workhorse bass is a Bongo 5 HSP. Strung with BB's as well. It's never approached that crazy level of sizzle. Nor has my G&L L2500.

Any advice is appreciated.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    It’s a very clear and present pre-amp so if you have new strings they will sizzle!

The Glock pre is designed to sound the same in passive or active mode, except active has a little more push and the EQ, so that does not surprise me. It was designed that way so that if the battery died on a gig, then in passive mode the whole sound of the bass does not alter and thus mess up whatever mix you have set up.

Grounding issue will be a hum that’s present unless you are touching the strings or the bridge, if it’s not that, it’s whilst playing, it could be something else. You may have to reset you settings on your amp, as essentially you are dealing with a new pre-amp in the chain.

Sure the brightness will drop out as strings age, but on the bright side, you may be able to keep strings on longer if they sound brighter longer!

11. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Clear and present is an understatement!
    My biggest issue I suppose is that I would consider the treble unusable above the mid point because it introduces so much noise to the signal. Sorry I didn't explain it better.
    I've tried it with my rack setup with a presonus studio channel preamp, my TC RH750, as well as direct to my audio interface. On the presonus, I have to cut the treble entirely.
    I've been thinking about adding a high pass filter to my signal chain. Maybe I need a low pass as well for this bass.
    I'll work with it a bit more and see how it acts in a live setting. Maybe I'll feel differently?

Cuzzie likes this.
  12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Of course in purely passive mode you have your vol/bal/tone and away you go

13. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    IME the California II's are a little brighter than the previous series especially the lighter ones. My VS4 was exceptionally bright too (7.5lbs) and putting the pre and pickup in my 1st series VM4 did not make that bass more bright.
    The Delano J's are quite wide in their frequency response though and you might find that the Sandberg Alnicos would tame the treble a little without sounding dull. I have a California II TT4 passive that has them in and that bass is perfectly balanced tone-wise and fantastic sounding. I never found a problem with preamp noise on my active Sandys.

Cuzzie likes this.
  14. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    You would think so, but I still get a lot of hissing noise unless I turn the treble way, way down.
    And I'm not an old school thump kind of guy either. I like some bite to my tone. Just seems excessive.
    I guess I'll just work with the eq and see what I can do.

Thanks for the responses!

15. Something is not quite right then. I wouldn't expect hissing like that from a Sandberg. Clarity/brightness is normal, though, like others have said.

It's a beautiful bass, by the way.

Obrad Lacarac likes this.
  16. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Thank you. I agree on both counts.
    Maybe I'll drop it at my tech and get his opinion.

Jughead6 likes this.
  17. thawkeyes

thawkeyes

Mar 20, 2009
    What about Sandberg black labels? Are they super bright?

18. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Black labels are super punchy, in between the more vintage old Sandberg in house pups and ‘hi-fi’ Delano’s and are very very good pick ups indeed

19. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, good news on my noise issue. Believe it or not, not one but TWO of my cords introduce a ton of noise. Time for a couple new ones I guess. The bass is still VERY bright, but it's much clearer, and very useable. Strange it doesn't do it with my other basses though?
    All in all, happy I found the problem and loving the bass even more.

Obrad Lacarac, Cuzzie and Jughead6 like this.
  20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Cool thing about bright is that it's much easier to alter than dull.
    Maybe just roll off some treble at the amp if the bass is too bright?
    Shhhhh; we won't tell...

Jughead6 likes this.