1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coda Revelation Bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by armybass, Apr 1, 2006.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I played Reed's Carbow yesterday and it was my first time playing a carbon bass bow. I was looking around the internet and found the Coda Bow but have seen no mention of one here. I did a search and came up empty. Is it too new?

2. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Really, nobody...hmmmmm ok.:eyebrow:

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I remember a thread on this bow from last year. Seems like it ended disappointingly, if I recall correctly.

4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks Reed, I did a search and got no hits on it. Still not a lot of info. I guess the jury is still out on them.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Just put "coda" as a search term and you'll get some hits.

6. FYI I posted the Coda review linked above ... still like the bow OK after 6 months.

It's not quite as lively as a good wooden bow, but it's well-balanced and I find I get a warm, focused sound out of it. Then again I play a pretty dark instrument with Spirocores, so YMMV.

I bought the bow based on indestructibility and relatively low cost, and I think it's a decent compromise. Still saving my pennies for a Hudson though.

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for that info. That is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered one and should have it tomorrow. I am not a pro arco player and I think the bow will be plenty good enough for my playing at this point.

8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried the Coda bow last year and simply hated it - having said, that the David Gage "Metropolitan" version is an entirely different piece of cake - much better balanced, fuller sound - a real bow (but a couple of hundred $$ more). There's also the Carbow, which has a sweeter sound and smoother feel, but lacks the punch of the Metro.

On the lower priced end, the Glasser Composite CF bow was surprisingly good for the price (@300-400) and to my mind a better deal than the regular Coda bow. I also tried all of the Arcus CF, but found them disappointing for the price range they were in

(I teach every year in the High Sierras, so the search for a bow that wouldn't crack or warp up there was the motivation for all this!)

Hope it helps.

Louis

9. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    You can get the Glasser Composite bow for around $180, and the Carbon for about $300.

10. mesmithnm

mesmithnm

Dec 10, 2005
    Layton, UT
    I've been playing the Coda for almost a year now, and I find it works well for me - I use it infrequently as most of playing is pizzicato. But, just as all wooden bows are not created equal, neither are the Coda bows. I had the luxury of trying quite a few good bows at the same time (at Robertson's, here in Albuquerque) including more than one Coda Revelation. Of all the bows I tried, one particular Coda was the best (at its price point) for me and my basses. It could not compare with the really fine pernambuco bows I played but I did not have to get a bank loan to purchase it, either :) I found it worked really well with my Spirocore Orchestral strings (which I have settled on, for now, as the best string for 90% of my playing - mostly jazz) by helping control their tendency to sound harsh witha bow. This could very well translate into a lifeless sound if you play gut or a gut-like string. So two points - you may or may not like the bow depending on your bass and/or setup, and second, if you aren't quite satisfied with the first Coda you try but find it has possibilities, don't give up - try another, as I found real audible differences between the Coda bows I auditioned.

11. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Louis, Where ever did you find an Arcus bow to try? I've been looking for a German model to try for over a year now. No one seems to have any of their bows in this country.

Thanks, Brian

12. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can contact their US distributor directly (I forget his name - sorry). He was very helpful and sent the bows to Lisa Gass here in LA. He could probably send them to a dealer near you. I would test out all three price ranges (@$900 - $1800 and $2500). I thought I would have liked them much more than I did as I am always on the search for the perfect light bow.

"ArcusUSA" = info@arcus-usa.com

Also, Paul Ashley at Hammond Ashley in San Diego has them and Paul is very helpful (PaulAshley1@aol.com)

Good luck. Let me know what you think.

Louis

13. enyapj18

enyapj18

Jul 23, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    I believe Upton carries Arcus bows.

John