1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Coldplay's Guy Berryman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Apr 16, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Don't know much about this guy or the band but I'm defently intrested in those hiwatt heads he uses.

What recording can I listen to where his playing/sound is well featured?

2. Any Coldplay album will do you, but Rush of Blood To The Head is my favourite.

Berryman is not a flash player, in fact the entire band all work together more for the benefit of the song rather than for any kind of technical dazzle.

X&Y, their latest album is very polished, with a definite nod toward the current US market for technically clean and quantised production.

3. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I really appriciate Guy's playing, he's got a good thing going.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    where's my bored to death smiley when I need it goddamnit

5. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    from what i've heard so far from Coldplay, he's a real solid player..just stays in the pocket and doesn't really impress but gets the job done.

6. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    +1 on Rush of blood to the head... that's in my top 10

And everyone's right, imo, he's a solid play-for-the-song player

7. in the recent UK "rich list", each member of Coldplay was said to have £26 million to their name...........

8. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Can someone recomend me a song where he doesn't root the whole thing? (serious question btw).

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

"Everything's Not Lost" has a nice bouncy line during the instrumental breaks.

10. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    their biggest hit "clocks" has a very melodic bass line at times

11. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    I believe he used the Hiwatt rig for the taping of "Austin City Limits" show which is now available for download on iTunes. I recall his tone having a good little growl with his p-bass on that show. Sounded very natural and woody at times.

Right on for him being in the pocket w/ the band. Funny how much radio Coldplay gets for having a "boring" bassist.

12. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    The Bassists that do enough are usually the ones that do well. The Bassists that do too much are usually the ones who don't...Guy hits the nail on the head with his playing...I really love his sound as well.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    So there's money to be made in vagina rock, eh? BTW, he does seem to be a real solid player.

14. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    tunes off of their first album "parachutes" has some good tunes where guy isn't just hitting roots. listen to "sparks" and "touble" off of that disc

i do like his tone when he's playing fingerstyle, but his picking tone just doesn't do it for me

-jimbo

15. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    he might be a badass and just playing what's needed for the songs in the context of the band.. there're quite a few musicians around like that..

16. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    He's also adding Moog parts live and singing backup. Sounds like a "guy" to keep around. Had to do it.

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    God Put A Smile Upon Your Face - catchy bassline!

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I hate Coldplay I just don’t get all the hype.:confused:

19. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    then, why reply?

20. It's a given that they will have millions when they create a style and market to people who actually have money.

Young people nowdays know how to use the internet to get what they want for free... and that usually doesnt add to the band's bottom line.

Look at dave mathews band, they appeal to anyone between the ages of 20-50... they own their own island now and charter people there to preform live shows... they are doing pretty well.