Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

colin hodgkinson!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Feb 2, 2006.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all,

i just came across this guy, in a cd about "Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf [London Sessions With Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton"

i heard his version of " i got my mojo working" and think that hes awesome... i found out he used to play in a band called "back door" ... any body knows him, is he as good as he sounds... is he still playing? what can you recomend me o r tell me about him?

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    yes. still playing. He also used to be in Whitesnake!

3. If you can buy the Back Door cd's they are amazing!!!

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hurray! Somebody else who's heard of Colin Hodgkinson! Me and Jerry were alone in the flying the flag on here for a long time! ;)

Colin lives in Peterborough, England. His main gig these days is with the European lineup of the Spencer Davis Group (I have a DVD of a 2002 show where he gets a solo bass spot). He often crops up in projects with drummer Pete York and plays a bit on Germany's lively blues circuit.

Colin made a name for himself with Back Door, a sax/bass/drums fusion trio active from '72-'77. They put out four albums before calling it a day due to financial pressures. Their first two albums were reissued in 2000.
    'Back Door' soundclips: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...60184/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_9_2/303-4776796-7013843

UK bass folklore has Colin showing Stanley Clarke how to slap the electric bass. Back Door supported Return to Forever for a few weeks at Ronnie Scott's in London in 1972. RTF were in the middle of recording 'Light as a Feather' and Stanley was mostly playing upright, occasionally switching to a Gibson EBO. Colin already had a chordal concept worked out for the electric bass, and was slapping and tapping. Colin is very
    modest but has conceded "I showed him a couple of things".

After Back Door, Colin spent a few years in the Jan Hammer band - I think there are a couple of CDs available. He also spent a year with Whitesnake and has played for people like Mick Jagger, Brian Auger, Joan Baez and Alexis Korner.

Back Door reformed in 2003 and released a new CD, 'Askin The Way' on Cultural Foundation records. www.cultfound.org Hux Records also put out a CD of Back Door radio sessions the same year. Unfortunately saxophonist Ron Aspery passed away in December 2003 and things went quiet. Colin and Tony have now recruited Rod Mason to fill the sax chair and they played some UK dates last autumn. There is a DVD coming out at some point in 2006.

Colin released a solo album in the late '90s. Mostly his solo bass + vocals intrepretations of Robert Johnson and Leadbelly style blues. Blew my mind when I first heard it and I've spent the seven years since then working on these tunes. Difficult to get hold of a copy - Amazon.de or the Bass Centre in London (www.basscentre.com) would be your best bet. The Bass Centre also stocks the transcriptions book of the album.
    'The Bottom Line' soundclips: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...0318/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_11_2/303-4776796-7013843

'Steaming' (with Brian Auger and Pete York) soundclips: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...0318/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/303-4776796-7013843

Other links:
    http://www.blakeymusic.com/backdoor.htm
    http://www.cultfound.org/back door page.htm

6. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i´ve heard somewhere that colin was releasing a book... a "bass masters" book...

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOU IT??

i would kill to get a grip of his technique!!!!

7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i think this thread might need a BUMP

8. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    check youtube, there are a bunch of cool clips with him playing the black leftie P bass.....SMOKIN!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

9. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    I had a 1 or 2 Backdoor lps back in the 70s. Amazing player

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Use the search function, there've been a number of threads on Colin.

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    the dude is an absolute mofo of a bass player.

Youtube clip.....

I am amazed at how well he got his Pbass to sound like a slide guitar.

12. pete honeyman

pete honeyman

Mar 9, 2008
    There's a video of Alexis Korner's Birthday party/anniversary which features CH playing solo and with the band - he plays the P-bass with his thumb, supporting it with the fingers under the bottom of the bass. Sounds great and just goes to show there's no such thing as 'proper' technique - just technique that works and sounds good.

13. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    so... no news on his own book??

:(