1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Collection of James Jamerson tunes?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Knavery, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey all,
    I was reading an article in Bass Player magazine about the 100 best bassists. Not surprisingly, James Jamerson got #1. My question is... Is there a collection of his work that I can purchase, or do I have to hand pick a bunch of songs off different albums. I know he worked with several different artists. Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pretty much anything Motown in the sixties.

Wikipedia
    James Lee Jamerson (January 29, 1936 – August 2, 1983) was an American bass player. He was the uncredited bassist on most of the Motown Records hits in the 1960s and early 1970s (Motown did not list session musician credits on their releases until 1971), and is now regarded as one of the most influential bass players in modern music history. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000. As a session musician he played on 30 Billboard #1 hits, as well as over 70 R&B #1 hits, more than any other bass player in both categories.[1]

3. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    That helps. So, I can Google the best James Jamerson tunes (according to bassists :)) and then look for greatest Motown Hits and purchase the one with the most Jamerson tunes. That seems like the logical next step. Thanks.

Element Zero likes this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Also...check out some of the less traveled material-
    The Motown Sound by Earl Van Dyke. There's some live JJ + 3 Jamerson tunes.
    "Behold"
    "Fever In The Funk House"
    "Greedy Green"

Another JJ tune off the radar is "Outrageous (Mind Excursion)"...with Dennis Coffey. Recently re-issued on Evolution. Pretty psychedelic.
    :)

ahc, markoc and Shortchevy like this.
  5. James Jamerson's birthday is today. This Dennis Coffey piece is certainly not what I expected to find, but it is great finding obscure stuff with famous musicians.

markoc likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

8. js1268

js1268

Dec 14, 2008
    or maybe something from one of his students...

9. ahc likes this.
  10. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Write "Darling Dear" into the Tube..it'll take u to the extreme end of his genius....then work back from there.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021