1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

colored strings for reggae

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zsace1223, Mar 17, 2009.

1. zsace1223

zsace1223

Sep 5, 2007
    I know that DR makes a bunch of colored strings, but I am under the impression that these are used for metal.

I play reggae mainly and use flatwounds. Do you guys know any colored strings that would be more suited towards my playing style? Thanks.

2. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I say get a green one, a red one, a yellow one, and a black one and call it good. :D

3. DR colored IMO will suit reggae fine. they're just a bit duller than regular roundwound strings & stay "alive" sounding longer- wich U MAY or may not want.... Diamond BLACK Beauties are black colored flats.....if U R after black strings. I've used DR reds/blacks & greens & all've been good to me.

4. tulsabass

tulsabass

Feb 19, 2008
    I use the DR Blue Peacocks.
    I've had them one my gigging bass for about a year now.
    I play rock with a pick and surprisingly the blue coating hasn't worn off near as much as I thought it would.
    I'm thinking of getting the green or hot pink ones for another bass.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They are Hi Beams with a coating on them, which lowers the brightness a little.

I think they still would be a bit bright for reggae, if you're going for the traditional reggae bass sound.

6. Everybody says this but I distinctly remember reading that they have a hex core. This would make them more like a LoRider, hence the reason I like them so much. Hi Beams are much to floppy.

H