1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

combination of "4x10" and "1x15" cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matus para, Jan 18, 2012.

1. matus para

matus para

Jan 17, 2012
    I need an advice: I already have ampeg 4x10 cabinet (SVT-410HLF) and Im thinking to buy ampeg svt classic head. Since now I was using this cab with SVT-3PRO but the sound wasnt that good mainly on bigger stages... Im thinking to buy svt classic and combine it with my old 4x10 and new 1x15. IS THIS A GOOD IDEA? which 1x15 cab is good? I already try some of Accugroove with 2x12 but wasnt very happy, what about Orange?
    Now Im using 1978 Fender Precision bass.
    thankssssss
    Matus:hyper:

2. matus para

matus para

Jan 17, 2012
    any ideas?

3. Stole this, and this is the perfect place for it...

egrdw2.

Short answer, its not a good idea.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    In a word. No.

Better to match cabs.

Plus your HLF is 4ohm. That head you have you cannot add another cab safely without going below the minimum ohm load. Keep your SVT 3 Pro and get a 610 or 810 cab. Your issue is speaker sq ft. If you wannt to get louder you need more speakers. That amp should be sufficient.

5. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Paris, France
    Hi Matus Para
    The idea is that the 410 + 115 question has been discussed many times in many threads. You should be able to find all the arguments and a lot of useful information with a little search and a little more reading.
    As CL400 Peavy stated, a lot of folks think 410 + 115 in not a good choice in matching cabinets. Some disagree.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Terrible idea. The 410HLF stands alone. A 115 gives you nothing that you can't get out of the 410HLF, and your head can't handle anything else when you use the 410HLF.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Look at one of the other thousand or so threads on this same subject. They come along every two or three days, give or take.

8. Only if you like to watch your amp meltdown. It can only take 4ohms minimum and you HLF already filled that 4ohm. Either play elsewhere or buy a new cab.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You will blow the 15 using it with a 410, even if the ohms match. The 410 will be limited by what the 15 can handle. This IS a FACT.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Let me get this straight: You actually think Ampeg is going to sound better than the Accugroove cab you've already tried? :confused:

So how the heck does that work? In a world where blurry grunt and distortion is preferable to smooth, hi-fi clarity?

I think you are seriously confused... :eyebrow:

MM

11. matus para

matus para

Jan 17, 2012
    thanks for the answer

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Doesn't sound like he's confused in the least to me. Not everyone wants razor sharp hi fi clarity.

13. Ampeg is still in business. He can't be the only one with that preference.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, and Accugroove isn't...what does that tell ya? ;)

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I_like_that_ZING.

16. I was trying to be at least slightly subtle. Down boy....

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry...that was a little mean. Aside from that little snag with the Accu-Switch, Accugroove made very nice products.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Accugroove is "razor sharp"? Since when? :confused:

I've actually heard the Accugroove sound. It's very smooth and round, especially on the top end. But it is actually clear.

MM

19. matus para

matus para

Jan 17, 2012
    thanks for you answers, maybe my question should be what can I do with 4x10, how can I connect it with something else if I want to have stronger sound