Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combining 4x10 + 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, May 17, 2005.

1. Can any problem result doing this?
    Is it bad for any reason?
    Do you think this setup is good?

:rolleyes:

2. there's no problem what so eva, most companies make a 6x10 as a cab option anyways, just make sure that your amp can handle the combined ohms of the two cabs...

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope, no problem at all....with the possibilitiy that you may not be able to get the deeps lows (low B) since you only have 10's. Depending on your style of music, that may not be an issue, but if you play any R & B, funk, or jazz, you'll really miss a larger diameter driver. I was going with a 410 and 210, but switched up and I'm now going with a 210 over a 212.

4. Not entirely true. It depends on the frequency range of the speakers and the tuning of the cab, but without getting too technical, an Eden 210xst has a lower frequency range than most 15's (going all the way down to 30hz) it's just a matter of which cabs you are looking at...

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your point is noted, but that's why I said may have an issue.

On balance, 10's rarely produce the deepeness of a larger diameter driver. However factors like cab tuning, porting, enhanced x-max, magnet vs. neodymium, etc are all contributors to the tone produced...I just wanted to spare him an elongated physics lesson and hit the germaine issue.

6. @ GSPLBASSDC:

+1

@ semborg:

I think what we are trying to say is that there are many factors influencing the tone you will get out of this setup.

Best advice is to try it out for yourself and see what you think... some people prefer the sound of larger diameter speakers, while other prefer the faster response of smaller ones. Try out both a 2x10 and a 15, then make your choice based on what you prefer.

just make sure your amp can handle the extra cab

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well said!

Specs are great as a starting point, but in the end, it's all about how you feel about the sound! Now the fun starts....go audition some gear and keep us posted!

8. I always found this issue interesting. If the 210 and 410 are both 8ohms, then you would be putting the same amount of wattage into both cabs (i.e., your head would be seeing a 4ohm load). So, if you start cranking, it would seem to me that the 210 might start to 'fart' out versus the 410. A response above talked about the 6-10 cabs out there now. In order for a 410/210 combination to mimic a 6-10 cab, you would have to have the 410 in 4ohm configuration and the 210 in 8ohm configuration. That way, each 10" speaker in both cabs would be getting approximately the same wattage. The 410 would be 'louder' in this case, but that would be preferable, since the 410 is a bigger cab with more power handling capacity (all other things being equal)

However, you would have to have an amp that can safely operate at close to 2ohms under this situation. Of course, this wouldn't totally mimic a 6-10, because the tuning of the 210 versus the 410 would result in a different sound coming from each cab.

I agree with the previous comment to 'do what sounds good to you'. But, you should keep in mind the ohmage issue and the power being delivered to each cab, etc.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good point. Normally you'd try to equalize power as best as possible. The config KJung just presented means a total ohmage in the neighborhood of 2.66 ohms, so you'd need a 2 ohm head.

Here's a list that fellow TB'er "The Dude" created:

http://www.3ms.com/bass/2ohms.htm

10. An additional advantage to the 4ohm 410 / 8ohm 210 option is that your head (assuming it can safely operate at 2ohms) would be putting the 'optimum' power into the cabs when used separately versus combined. For example, if you were using an iAmp800, for small gigs, the 210/iAmp combe would be 500 watts, for somewhat larger gigs, the 410/iAmp combo would be 800 watts, and for the largest of your gigs, the 410/210 iAmp combo would be 1000 watts. Cool!
    '

11. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I do this with an aguilar GS410 & GS210. It sounds great, its very very very loud, & you dont have to haul a 610 to a small gig, when the 210 or 410 is usually plenty.

Did I mention how loud it is?

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    huh??? I can't hear you...could you please turn that thing down?? (heh, heh)

13. The head I am using is Yamaha bbt 500h
    And it is also yamaha bbts cabs I am thinking off.
    The head goes down to 2 omhs.