Combining Phil Jones C4 with Aguilar SL112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaurensLeijn, May 7, 2019.

1. Hi guys!

I’m currently running a single Aguilar SL112+TH350-setup and I’m thinking about mixing in a cab with smaller/faster speakers to add a layer of response/attack/transparency. 10” normally would be the obvious choice, but also Phil Jones C4 cab’s keep popping up in my research. Besides running it in combination with the 112, having a secondary small cab which also runs well as a standalone for rehearsal/smallvenue-use intrigues me.
    As they are really rare in Europe it’s not possible to check them out before buying, so I have to do my research in front and blindly order them online. At this moment I have no reallife-experience with the sound of Phil Jones speakers.

The main thing I try to wrap my head around is:
    - How ‘well’ would a Phil Jones C4 mix with the SL112 (or any ‘clear’ 112 in that matter)?
    - How would a C4 keep up volume-wise next to a 112?
    - Or maybe your possible advice: “Just forget about this weird ‘mix’ and get 10s"

I'm planning to use the C4 for rehearsals and small-bar-jam's, and the complete set on small/medium stages. The music genre varies from funk to jazz.

I hope you have any advise for me, thanks! :)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Why not just get another SL112?

3. Love the SL112, but I thought extending it with smaller speakers will add faster response and more attack in the mid/high-range. But indeed: If my fantasy-mix seems to be nothing more than fantasy, 'just getting another 112' is also an option in my research..

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    The problem is a completely different cab that you’ve never heard will yield completely unknown results. It may sound good, it may sound like crap. I mean, if you already like the sound of the SL112... just my 2 cents.

Ampslut and LaurensLeijn like this.
  5. maddogsauce

maddogsauce Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Just received a C4 and paired it with my SL112 and a TH700 head. I am loving the sound!! If you are still considering this setup at all, I definitely recommend it!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021