Combining Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LarryR, Mar 4, 2004.

1. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Esteemed URBists,

I use a K&K Bass Max. It's thuddy sounding, but for the price (and a little EQ'ing) has served me well (All Hail Bob Golihur). I now have a 2 channel Clarus and want to add a Microphone. From what I've read on TB, with the Fishman Full Circle, I can achieve a mic-type sound w/o inherent mic cables and feedback.

Anyone doing the same?

Another question, I've an oppty to get a Realist for cheap, so, maybe the Realist and Fishman? Does the Realist sound more "natural" than the Bassmax? Thanks all for your comments.
  2. delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    One vote for the fishman full circle.....I use it on my carved bass and it sounds great. Even arco sounds full and natural. There are a few different ways of installing it depending upon what sound you are going for. If you have the element facing the top of the bass, you get more of a realist type sound(body vibrations)....with the element facing up, you get a bit more string sound. I havn't felt the need to try it with a mic yet.
  3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    However, why not try the Golden Trinity, which is designed to integrate well with the Bass Max? I've thought about both options since I have a Bass Max too. I heard the Golden Trinity today through both a Coda and a Walter Woods (Woods was through a 2x8") and it sounded really nice, especially through the Coda I thought. Haven't heard the Full Circle yet though.
  4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I've got a Golden Trinity mic upgrade system I may be selling soon -- PM me if interested. It integrates with your existing Bass Max.
  5. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles

I play in a variety of situations most of which are in tight spaces with loud/fast bands. I'm looking for as much feedback resistance as possible. I just don't think a MIC will suit me, hence my interest in a pickup that is supposed to sound like one.

What kind of bass are you using it on? I'm using a fully-carved Christopher that alone has a decent sound, not a huge, warm, mature bass sound, but, decent. I presume the Fishman F.C. is as good as the instrument it's on??