Combining two signals into one output.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fun With Dirt, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    So, I'm looking at a direct rig situation where I have two bass pre/DI pedals that are setup to have two very different jobs and i want to be able to switch by an AB switch between them. That's the easy part for me: AB switch.

The output is my question. I'll never want both signals on and flowing through at the same time. It will be one or the other. I just want to have both feeding into a "combiner" so that I only need a single cable (1/4" or XLR) to go to the console. Any ideas on such a thing? Almost like a SUPER simple mixer. ....but wont need to adjust levels or EQ. ....or mix. Lol.

Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    [​IMG]

nbsipics and Fun With Dirt like this.
  3. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    One Control White Loop

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  4. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    What you need is a summing circuit. It can be as simple as 2 resistors anywhere in the 1k - 10k range. Rane have a great article here & I also found this with a quick search. Good luck!

5. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Very cool! I won't need all bells and whistles though. I mean that I won't need to manually toggle between one signal or the other. The signal will just simply becoming from one or the other.

Definitely very close. I am hoping for one that also has a XLR return and single output and not just the 1/4". I know this is super specific and may end up just having it built.

Thanks! ...but would I need a summing amp if the signal is only going to come from Source A or Source B but never Source A and Source B? Could maybe a glorified Y cable work here for that?

kranahan likes this.
  6. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Seems like the Boss LS-2 would be the perfect solution for your needs, basically a small pedal form mixer with two build in effects loops, each with a dedicated volume control, as well as it has a control switching knob for setting it to different functionality and switching modes.

You would also be able to just use the effects loops Return input jack sockets if you don't need your preamps to be in the separate parallel effects loops that the pedal offers.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    cardinal likes this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    +1 for the Boss LS2. Small, simple, reliable, easy to find.

JohnArnson likes this.
  8. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    No, you should never use a Y cable to merge/sum signals, only for splitting. The Rane article I linked explains why.

9. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    That's just it. I am not merging two signals. It is only one. It will be coming down side A or side B. Not side A and B. Side A would have Bass A connected to it. Side B would have Bass B connected to it. I can only play one at a time and the signal to B will be muted when playing A. So... there's virtually no chance of there being two signals coming down the wye at the same time. I was talking with a buddy of mine last night, not sure why I didn't think to ask him to begin with (always nice to have a lead amp designer for a well known amp manufacturer as a childhood friend!) but he was saying the only concern he'd have is impedance but given where this would occur in the signal path, it should be absolutely fine. ...just don't run a signal down both sides of the wye at the same time. For that, as you pointed out, I would need a summing amp.

10. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    Saturnworks will have what you need. The A/B double loop switcher would probably work best.

BurningSkies likes this.
  11. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

All you need is a simple A/B-Y box.

You can probably get one new for about $15 (does RadioShack still exist).

The ART CoolSwitch is just a branded version of a pretty common, cheap A/B-Y box, and even then, it's dirt cheap.

Bass#1 - preamp#1 - input A

Bass#2 - preamp#2 - input B

Either common output - amp / DI

(A/B-Y box sockets are bi-directional, so ignore "input" / "output" labels).

12. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Further to my last post, I just did a quick search, and the world is your lobster :

Mooer make a cheap micro pedal

Electro Harmonix make the "Switch Blade", a cheap nano pedal, and a cheap regular pedal (as well as a more expensive active version).

Fender make a really cheap pedal.

Other than the more expensive Electro Harmonix option, they're all passive : so the I/O are bi-directional, and you don't need any power at all (unless you really need the LEDs to light up).

13. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    The Boss LS-2 can do that for you, make you chose between two input signal paths and then having them go through one output depending on which you have switched to.

You could also have one input split into two outputs ir two inputs split into two outputs, but it'll do exactly what you need.

Exactly as I already wrote in my previous post in this thread.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021